Resolved wierd fault on work pc solved (kinda)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steve_p1981, Jan 19, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

well i managed to get my hands on a 2nd hand psu from a local computer guy the boss knows and we knew works (he used it as a test unit untill today, when he gave it to me). Fitted it into the pc and hey presto, the cd / dvd rom works fine now :-)
    How ever the in built USB ports still don't work so i'm thinking that the faild psu may have damaged the mobo somehow but everything seem to work fine (usb ports excluded).
    Thanks Greenbrucelee, who i think suggested the PSU in the first place. you're a star

p.s I installed a pci usb card to get round the problem i couldn't fix incase you were all wondering or cared lol

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

power supplies can cause all sorts of weird problems, unfortunatley cheap and crap makes of power supplies can damage components when they fail this is why a good make is always a good idea as most often when a good make fails it just stops working instead of frying everything.

Glad you have it sorted

As for your USB it could have been damaged by the old psu try disconnecting the headers and putting them back and see if it helps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

just need to learn which ones are the good ones as i'm pretty new to this i don't really have a clue about that yet. I'm not going to spend any more time on this computer. if anything else on the mobo fails i'll just get the boss to get another pc and put the existing HDD in as a slave. The computer's about 7 years old or soemthing so it's really low spec.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I can tell you a few.

Seasonic (the best)
    Corsair (made by seasonic) The main difference between both makes is usually seasonics have multiple 12v rails and are modular whilst corsair just have one 12volt rail and are not modular but there is the odd exception in the different models.

Other good makes:- CWT, Thermaltake (toughpower units only), OCz extreme, PC Power & colling, Newer Enermax, Newer coolermaster.

Models that are okayish:- Antec used to be top quality until they started using cheap suppliers for their capacitors, Silverstone (getting a lot better)

Models to avoid:- Huntkey (have a habit of exploding when pushed), Rosewill (lie about wattage and capability), Winpower (totally suck), Powerman (made by the same douches as winpower), coolmaster (see how it looks like coolermaster they even use a similar logo unfortunately their power supplies are ****e).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?