Widescreen native rez not available choice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bluerinse, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi, a quick question for you hardware gurus.

I have a new PC, here's the spec..

Intel C2D 6320 1.86
    2 GB RAM DDR2
    NVidia 8500 GT Geforce video
    Gigabyte GA-965P MOBO
    Windows Vista Ultimate

The only issue I have is that the native monitor resolution of 1440x900 is not an available choice in the graphics settings. It is a 19" widescreen Chimei CMV 937A

Device manager is showing it as a standard non-plug and play monitor.

I have downloaded the latest graphics drivers form Nvidia specifically for Vista without success.

I have searched the net for an .inf file for this monitor but cant find one. Am i right in thinking that this might be needed to inform the computer what resolution the monitor natively supports?

the card is capable of higher resolutions than this and i can set other resolutions but none of them are as good as when i was using the correct res with XP.

Any help, guidence, advice or derision will be gratefully accepted :)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think there is an option to show *all* screen resolutions and not just the ones that are supported. This might help as there seems to be an issue between the graphics card and monitor deciding what resolution they want to use.

Also are you configuring this in the default Windows display properties or in the NVidia software?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Having looked at the manual for the screen I see that this must be a FAQ!

First - I don't know Vista - but I'm going to proceed as if it was like XP.

In the screen properties -> advanded change the monitor to "Plug and play". This may sort things out.

Try sparky's suggestion of looking at all the resolutions. (After setting P'n'P).

Try updated video drivers. The manual seems to think that there might be problems here. The list of cards they say work seems a bit restictive (and old).
    However - my brand new X1950PRO has this setting available.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes Spary i have tried that display all resolutions but the one i need is still not on the list :(

The same resolutions are available whether i use Windows to veiw the screen properties or the Nvidia control panel.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I cant find a way of changing the monitor type to plug and play in Vista..

I have the latest drivers installed Harry.

Also, the native resolution is quite common for 19" widescreens.. i have even been able to set up 1440x900 on most on-board graphics PCs and on my very old previous system which had a 4 year old MX Nvidia card :blink

6. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I think this is the key here. It *could* be something simple, like a duff cable - is this VGA to VGA or DVI to DVI?

It might be worth looking at some of the utils that will query the DDC monitor stuff. The only one that I can find at the moment is Winl2C/DDC which has a silly price, but the demo might do the job.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+