Why work in IT?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Alex Wright, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

I'm feeling somewhat philosophical this morning, and am interested to know. For me it's the fact that you never stop learning... there's always fresh new challenges.

What are your thoughts?

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

My return question is "why not?" :lol:

Really for me it was the fact that I didn't want to sit in front of a desk typing away doing "mundane tasks", office admin work didn't challenge me enough and other work while would be nice in the summer, wasn't nice in the winter (to cut a long answer short :) ).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Alex Wright

LOL, great answer Ken! :D

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree with Ken:rocks

If your not happy with something, then why do it?

Like my ex said if your not happy with something change it until you are happy with it. Like the time she reached her credit card limit and couldn't do any more shopping, so instead she borrowed mine, she was a lot happier after that! But I wasn't:cry:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

ok I really don't want you to misunderstand me

why???

BECAUSE ITS THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD !!!

(ok maybe not when it comes to dealing with the users:)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Because my training provider said I would start on 40K and I would earn £30 million within 3 years!!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Proberbly like most people I like the constant learning curve (which you dont get in most other jobs), and my magpie like addiction with shiney new things helps too.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I'm not into IT yet.

But the reason I want to work in IT is because of the constant learning curve, I enjoy working on and using technology and I also like interacting with people.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'll get back to you :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Because there werent any electrician jobs going when I started out. :ohmy

These days I like the satisfaction of making things work for people. 8)

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You could ask the same question of any career path. Assuming that a job in IT is your goal or you actually work in IT and want to be there (some people are in jobs they can't stand), then I imagine it's a combination of really loving that type of work, having a natural "knack" of being good at it, and always wanting to get more out of it. You can make money doing lots of things (though I don't seem to have much of a "knack" for that part of it) so you might as well make your money and spend your time doing something that really "floats your boat".

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

uuuuups... how could I forget about this :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why? Because it beat the alternative at the time: washing out test tubes for $25,000 per year (my degree is in Chemistry). How can you prove your worth as a chemist by washing out test tubes? No other offers were available because companies wanted chemists with Masters degrees... which my school failed to tell me, and I failed to research beforehand.

So... I got a job as a field service tech for $22,000 per year. Less money, but I could leverage my desktop support skills to a better opportunity, which I ultimately did.

Obviously, considering my degree choice, getting a job in IT wasn't my goal. Computers were my hobby, my enjoyment, my escape. I always thought that if I worked in it, I'd burn out on them, and I wouldn't want to come home and "play with them".

Ah... how wrong I was. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

Purely because i'm a natural with computers, i find them very easy to work with and enjoy doing so.

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I like the challenge of being able to analyze a computer problem which is not always a clear cut solution like some text books put it.

I also have a passion for computers, break and fix, networking components, literal thinking and I don't get bore when in front of a computer either, well sometimes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I enjoy tearing my hair out at the silly repeated errors people make every day?

The sound of ringing phones gives me a real high?

Working 80 hours a week is 'the bomb'

I work in IT. So I get to solve problems with your domestic appliances, and I honestly have time to fit in your PCs from home that your kids have riddled with viruses. I only work on a helpdesk, after all.

But in all honesty?

Working in IT is a buzz. It's not the same buzz as when I get into a seam with a story, where I just don't want to put the pen down... but you know you're working in the right place, doing the right job, when you virtually skip down the corridor. You smile on your way into work, and you whistle and sing to yourself throughout the day. It's a buzz because the challenges are always changing to fit the technology of the times - every user has a different approach, and you have to change the way you work to tailor to them. Each and every person you work with is unique, and their problems will be too. It's one of the few jobs you can probably have that will never be static, and if you treat it with the reverence it deserves, will never go stale or sour.

Or maybe that's just me. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No, it's not just you Arro, that is in essence why i chose IT as a profession too.

And i have done many jobs in my time, all service based of course but working with computer technology has always been the thing that rings my bell. ding ding :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Alex Wright

Well I'm glad I'm not the only person that smiles on my way to work and whistles and sings once I'm there!

It's very reassuring and pleasing to hear that no-one (so far) has said that they work in IT because they were promised they'd make millions. General consensus seems to be that people thoroughly enjoy learning about new technologies.

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Because I wanted to be “the IT guy”.

Hee hee! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's primarily because those who were promised they'd make millions in IT *don't* end up working in IT, and if they do, it's usually not for long. They usually realize their disillusion and bail on the career. Those who do it for the money simply do not survive. Those who do it because they love it usually thrive.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!