Why we are here!--must read

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nugget, Sep 6, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK, after many conversations with flex22 about study and learning and much looking at the forum, I have come to the conclusion that while CertForums is a great and fun place to be (thanks Si), it is severely lacking input in the one area of certification, the very reason why we are here.

It seems that most posts go into either the fun post section (yes I am guilty) or the 'can you help me sort my problem' section (guilty again). Very few end up in the relevant certification forums. A couple of brave souls (Tripwire45 and AJ) started QOTD's in some forums which were well received but due to time and other commitments haven't been continued lately but are to be revived soon.

These guys do these QOTD's in their spare time, to help us and we should try to support them as much as possible.

Other study ideas are also here at CertForums. Take a look at Lab partners (original idea from flex22) and join in where possible, and now (also from flex22) the quiz night.

I'm sure there are other people with questions about the relevant objectives of whatever exam they are studying for, so come on speak up. If you are a newcomer to the forum, stick around and ask questions. We don't bite and we want to get to know you. To the regular crowd, I think we need a little shake-up.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Thats a fair comment nug, which exam are you currently studying for? and how is it coming along at the moment? I'm nibbling away at 70-292 on and off, the MCSA upgrade exam. I'm still struggling to find the motivation to just get on with it though.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It looks like I'm in the same boat as you Phil, lacking a bit of motivation. I'm trying to do A+, 215, and 270 at the moment along with a few other things such as Photoreading.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

guilty as charged :oops:
    Cheers m8 :thumbleft starts today.

You raise some good points m8 but it does take someone with the time and commitment to take on these projects, but I like the ideas. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Indeed lots of posts will fall into the 'can you help me' category
    its the very nature of a site like this
    this is due to the fact that most people stumble onto this sight to learn, and are often not in a position to assist others at that point
    over time this should change, as members become qualified, and experianced, and in turn pass thier knowledge onto the next generation of members

as certforums ages (remembers its only a wee one year old) its memberbase will mature, and become more experianced
    this will help balance out the 'student' to 'teacher' ratio, and allow alot more questions to be answered with positive results

just my 2 pence :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i agree with phoenix here. im studying the A+ at the moment, and most of the time, if i have a subject matter i dont understand, i'll post it into the A+ forum, but at the same time, a lot of the stuff i come up against is problem specific, and i feel its much more suited to the hardware/software forums, even though the problem more often than not actually falls into the A+ area of expertise.

but i feel this still helps me. members post their problems into the problem forums, and i (if i can) try to offer constructive and helpful advice. at the same time im watching what other (more experienced) members are posting, and what the outcome of the problem is, and try to remember that for future reference. sometimes it helps me to understand an area better, sometimes its just a problem that if i come across i will have some vague idea how to tackle. but that doesnt mean it doesnt help people with their chosen cert, its just another way of learning.

as for the large (and constant) posting in the 'fun' forums, its the nature of the site, we're not building up a collection of certified advisors, we're building up a community, one which is prepared to help each other through a hell of a lot of stuff, whenever feasibly possible. to tell the truth, its one of the main reasons i've stuck around. i like the community feeling. sure we have our parents (mods) who tell us off when we step out of line, but thats the nature of it.

Have i gone off on a tangent?????? :oops:

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Course not m8, I agree totally. As you say the boards are full of people who take a lot and a little from the boards. How many times has a member posted a couple of times with a question, got the answers and then disappeared. Then there are the members who always post and are not afraid to be wrong (no names :oops: ).

I think in the long run that the boards are not a repostitory of all info but a gem of the stuff that people have asked.

However, new ideas should always be welcomed and if anyone wants to take on a project then everyone should support that project if they wish to. I say it that way as we are all in different parts of our certs and need diferent help.

IMHO

:D :D :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Fergal1982

oh dont get me wrong guys. i think the quiz night etc is a great idea!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nugg, while I fully take on board your comments, and welcome your opinions as always, I have to agree with Phoenix, Fergal and AJ. We are a growing site, thanks to all our Members old and new, but I think the one quote above from your first post really doesn't stand up mate - we have built this site from the ground up, and to have got this stage in just a year. Also, the cert Boards fill up steadily over time. I think that aint bad.

And as for the Off Topic Boards, they are for exactly what it says over the door - all of us know the pressures of studying for long periods. God knows we need some breaks from it.

And I think the Computer Help forums are invaluable, both at home and at work. All of this stuff ultimately relates back to what we have all learned from the books.

OK, so maybe I had 4€ there, but then thats just me. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK maybe now that I've opened a can of worms I should clear a few things up, also now that I'm not so tired, drunk and frustrated too.

I was going to add a few more comments but I'd only end up pissing someone off.

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

For what it's worth, Nugg, I think your comments were invaluable, as they have clearly made us all take stock of why we are here, and reflect on what we want the site to do for us. For that, you will piss no one off !

Never, ever be afraid to speak your mind around here, Friend - if anyone was, then we might as well close the Boards for good. No one who has a sensible point to make will go ignored, ever :!:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

can i speak my mind while noelg is away?
    ok just kidding ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

There are some good points rasied by all here. I think this site is still very much in a growth state, remember this site is not charging money for free advice and some really good articles etc etc etc It all comes out of peoples time which is precious especially when studying on top of normal activities.

I also think this is a very friendly community the very fact that this is an open discussion proves that this community will go far. People probably do post a lot in the more general sections as they do not yet have the necessary knowledge to pass on other stuff, also people do not want to appear stupid so they will maybe not always ask questions that they think are simple.

Also this site brings a bit of stress relief for people that is probably why you see so much in the just for laughs section. Everybody likes a laugh.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry...been busy.
    :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. Fergal1982

pffft. its fine trip! missing it a bit, but i can understand. when you have stuff you need to do, the forum takes a bit of a back seat! everyones the same (except maybe si! lol).

.......................that said tho trip................ lol

Fergal