why isn't my product key working?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Long story short

I had Windows 8 preinstalled with my laptop which I upgraded to 8.1 later on with no problems. Without going into details I had to clean install 8.1, I used a program to find the built in product key for my laptop. Now my new install of 8.1 says build 9600 on the desktop and is unactivated. I use the product key but it says "you cant use that product key to active this version of Windows"

Whats going on? Do I specifically need to install Windows 8 and not 8.1 to get my key to work? Also isn't there only one version of Windows 8 as Im sure it only comes as Windows 8 pro. I'm a stone throw away from cutting my loses and installing linux.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Can confirm even when I installed version 8 (not 8.1) the key still doesn't work so I'm screwed

3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Did you buy this from a shop??? or second hand ? and how long ago

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

As I told you before, your key will be a SLP key specific to a manufacturer, not a retail key or volume license.

I suspect you are now using retail or volume media, the SLP wont work with it.

You need to get media from the manufacturer, or get another license.

There is no such thing as 'universal license key', there are different types of license key, you have the crapest license, an OEM/SLP license.

This license is virtually useless without the right hardware and media. The OEM would paid MS like $20 for it, because MS didn't make much they are punishing you now by effectively unofficially revoking the license.

If you're happy to learn tech stuff, and don't want to pay I'd install mint.

What make and model is the laptop ? Use this info to contact manufacturer and ask them for media, you will have to pay them I suspect, or they may refuse.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/media
    http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/bph07143
    Dell and HP provide them ONLY WHILE UNDER WARRANTY, no harm asking they might help you, but they don't have to.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So this is when you revert to your backup, you DO HAVE A BACKUP DON'T YOU?

For important data I always take a backup, whether it's using Acronis TrueImage or just backing up the data I can always revert if I need to.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

As I mentioned before, the manufacturer usually provides a free system backup tool to create restore media. So Simon has a good point.
    You are supposed to use it as soon as you get the laptop.
    This is a backup that you can use if the recovery partition goes bad.
    In your case partition may already be bad, or you might erased it. In which case its no good.
    You could try checking by the state of the recovery partition and trying to use it to recover.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said recovery partition is your best bet just now...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Having trouble finding how to boot from recovery partition.. is the method standard or specific? Google is telling me tp hold Alt and F10 but no joy also tried doing it from the BIOS with no luck

9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Try using Disk Management from inside windows or GParted or similar to see if there is still a recovery partition on the drive.

On my acer yes its Alt+F10, but I suspect its dependent on the model.

10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks to all who spent the time to try and helped, its apparent now that Im screwed thh, I know what I did wrong, so live and learn and all that.. I dontnise my laptop much so not bothered, I will just keep using cmd to rearm windows trial (think it works 3 times)

11. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why dont you call up HP and ask for replacement media ? Its gotta be worth a shot.

12. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

My laptops an acer, I guess you're right, couldn't hurt.