Why is the IT industry dominated by Indians?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Guvnor, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Hi guys

Genuine question, so I hope I'm not accused of racism.

I have always wondered why are there so many Indians in IT and it's just not here in the UK it's the same as well for the US.

I've spoken to a few IT guys they all say their colleagues are mostly Indians and market is dominated by Indians. No disrespect to Indians, who's ever is in a good position, then fair play to them you worked hard you deserve it. So this is more of an observation.

I know that IT is big in places like India, but is the market that bad that a lot of the staff labour of IT comes from abroad rather than here? Is there a lot of shortage of jobs in the IT market in the west hence they recruit abroad just like the NHS when they can't get doctors and other qualified staff they bring in qualified staff from overseas.

Please do share your thoughts on this.

2. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Amount of Indians I have met have mostly been IT experts.

I met a fella today, turned out he also works in IT. Asked him what he does he said he works with 'IBM Sterling'. Some kind of software that is really big in the States than here in the UK.

3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Offshore Indian teams I've dealt with sucked, running an offshore team is tough though.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Can't say I've noticed..I know alot of the helpdesk jobs have been outsourced to India due to it being more cost effective which sucks for us.. but no cant say I know of any Indian people (living in the uk) who work in IT but then again I dont know many Indians lol. At uni I know not many Asians in general were doing IT courses around the time I was there.

5. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I'd think it largely stems from the offshoring side of things, a lot of IT workers in India providing services as it's a lot cheaper for companies to get them to do it than say employ similar people directly in the UK or US.

Then what tends to happen is a lot of them will then move from India over to those countries as experienced employees within their company.

I've seen it when I did some work within our services outsourcing division, we'd get a group of guys over from India for 6 months, they'd go back and another group would come over to replace them.

Wouldn't say the marketplace is dominated by employees of Indian descent though.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I think curry naturally makes you better at IT :cheers

Bluerinse likes this.
  7. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Correction. The promise of curry makes me better :D

8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Not sure companies care where anyone's from just how good they are but what I would say is, some countries pay less as the cost of living is less. Companies can increase their margins by setting up in these countries and to a degree everyone's a winner purely in terms of numbers. There are many other factors but the numbers are usually impossible to argue against. Can't really comment on your specific query as I work for a global so converse with people from all over.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Really fancy a curry now its been mentioned... would be better than the gruel my mrs serves me daily.

10. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Interesting replies,

I know someone who works in networking for one of the banks, he says majority of his colleagues are all Indians.

So I guess it varies from location to location.

11. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Think you're right mate

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs