why do we have to work hard in our job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, Nov 16, 2012.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

I started a new role.

I love it and love what I do and its a good challenge.

But its hard work and it is my only first week and I worked 50 hours already.

2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I think i always work hard when i join a new company. A mixture of loads of new things to learn plus you want to show your boss that you are a hard worker.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If you want good things in life, you have to work hard, whether its a job, fitness, finance, relationships, etc :D

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

but no over time so are you guys saying each week if i work 5 hours extra without over time pay its fine?

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nope, that's not what I am saying. If you have to work the extra 5 hours to get your work done on time, then yes, that's called working hard. You don't always have to put in extra, just as long as the work gets done, your boss will be happy. working hard is not only based on time, its based on your performance, the quality of your work,if you deliver on time, etc.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Be mindful of the difference between working hard and your employer taking the p!ss. I know times are tough, but YOU have to come first.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Wow, 50 hours, alright for some! :twisted:

To a point, you want to show that you are the righrt man for the job, but don't start off working like a maniac, this will become expected. Work your hours, do your work during those hours so you don't have to stay after those hours, simple. In essence don't be what I have seen people be which are basically "busy fools"

Yes, also work smart too.

100% behind you on this, I was very much the man that used to stay behind and I work late for nothing, expecting like a mug that my reward would come and did it come? like hell did it, so I became a professional clock watcher. I was in my seat on the dot and at 5:30pm there was a Joe shaped hole in the wall.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
    drum_dude likes this.
  8. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

I try to get my work done during my working hours but if it is too much work then yeah it has to go over time, like something last minute came up instead of saying oh i do not work after 5, I stayed in and gave up my friday, i know its not healthy but hey u have to do what you have to do. Also I know that even if I pull alot of hard work out of myself and help the company I wont get a raise or a promotion I have experienced this in the past, but I do not care I am going to use this experience to get a better role else where.

i do not muck around and watch youtube or listen to music while I am working, when I work i concentrate and do the tasks.

if it is too much I take a break and come back.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well don't drive yourself too hard! :)

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...