Why are you pursuing Certification?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Aug 11, 2009.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi CF Members,

short and sweet. If you don't mind sharing, why are you studying to get certified?

I am to validate my current knowledge, show I care about my own development and to meet the requirements for an even better paid position within my organisation. My employer have a framework detailing everything you need to do and achieve to be a suitable candidate for promotion.

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Basically that :iagree The only thing I would say is "any organsation", not just my own. Plus meet the CPD hour requirements set by all the professional associations I belong to :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

To validate my knowledge and get back into work. I also value personal professional development very highly and see certification as a way of achieving and showing that development.

:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Validation of knowledge AND experience. Plus... I sorta have to in my line of work. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. PAT

PAT Banned

keeps me out of trouble:D

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I get to meet geeky chicks :wink:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

My intentions are similar of what's been said above... I think it keeps the momentum going for your career as well... the fact that you're constantly learning something and acheiving your goals goes along way when it comes to motivation.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'm not :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Do you feel you have achieved all the certs you set out to?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I feel there are better things to do with my life! Took a classroom course earlier this year for Server 2008 (extra cash in the training budget needed using up) and realised just how pony MS courses are - I took a mock for the exam about a week later and less than 10% of what was covered on the course was reflected in the mock questions (from a reputable prep provider I hasten to add - naming no names). I passed the mock but haven't bothered with the exam because I just can't jusitfy sitting down on my arse every night learning a load of old poo I'm never going to use in my job just to keep the ol' letter fruit salad up.

11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

At the level of your career, your experience should speak for itself. When you come to make the 'next step' would you completely discount any employers that desire certain certifications of you, despite the obvious experience on your CV? (without any concrete ideas of job role or money, I know that's a stupid, open-ended question...!)

Or, do you feel that your next step will be someone that comes looking for you?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Would you say its fair to say that the above statement is easy to say once you have all the main certs?

13. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

I was head hunted without the certs, just experience, but they were very clear that I should rectify this with haste if I wanted to stay on the fast track as it were. Jim

14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Each to their own I suppose, well in my case its to gain knowledge as well as use that knowledge acquired in my role.

Ultimately, my CV would get me more interviews for a potential career progression:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. prancing-moose

prancing-moose New Member

In most market sectors, other than actually working for an IT company, the focus is primarily on your ability to succeed in your job role, rather than just have the latest set of letters on your email footer.

Once your career is established (my experience is such that it far outweighs any supplier certifications) then employers are looking for role specific training, eg. You have implemented a SAN, therefore you need to support and manage the SAN within your organisation not within an imaginary Northwind company!

My focus is now not on IT certifications but to have a greater awareness of demands and legislations of the sector in which I am working and to understand the drivers moving the business forward.

I am sure that the next step is likely to be an MBA, but that is whole different ball game.

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Interesting thread this (first interesting general certification-related one that I've seen on here for a while actually)

Admittedly, in my position its pretty easy to seem like you're 'resting on your laurels' - not bothering with certification seems like you don't 'care' about your career. However, nothing could be further from the truth - and if my remarks seemed glib, well that's not how they're meant to come across - its just cos I'm an asshat :D

Truth be told, once you've got the experience I have, and the certs I've gained over the years (God, now I sound like even more of an asshat!) if you can't get/keep a job then there's something wrong with you as a person. As I've said on a few other posts, it might be bloody hard getting into IT, or getting that first promotion out of first line, but anyone with skills, experience and the ability to combine more than three words together to construct a coherent sentence is still like gold dust to most employers. That puts paid to one of the main reasons for continually adding letters after my name (providing food, heat and a roof over my head)

I also got sick to death over the years of studying my nuts off for exams - learning crap that I'll never use in 'The Real World' just to sweat through a cert exam that I had to pay for and not doing things that truly interested me in IT. Now I spend my evenings learning stuff I actually want to learn - or actively need to learn for specific things I'm working on. I've even started reading palaeontology texts again as I'm thinking of taking a masters in palaeobiology in a couple of years. Would never have been able to do that if I had my nut buried in MS crap!

I've always wanted to do my CCNP, so that may - and I stress may be on the horizon for next year if my project work dies down enough to give me study windows in the evening - but the bottom line is that certs really just don't interest me any more. The last one I did was the CEH - and that was over two years ago now.

I'm not sure whether its easier to say that certs aren't the be-all and end-all once you have all the 'main' certs (I'm not even sure what the 'main' certs are!) but I do know that my life has been infinitely better since I stopped reading about sodding Northwind Systems or Woodgrove Bank or whoever the hell it is these days setting up an enterprise root CA to replace their stand-alone blah blah blah blah

Oh - and Arro - most of my last few jobs have been through recruiters contacting me - I have only actively sought a role myself once in the last four years - and got an interview the same afternoon. TBH, I think its the experience that gets you jobs - along with word of mouth, rather than any amount of letters that you've got rolling around on the bottom of your signature :biggrin

17. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thanks very much for that reply Zeb. I certainly don't think you are resting on your laurels by not having a load of exams/certs in your WIP. You have achieved more certifications that some of us ever will.

I don't doubt that once I get the certs I'm after I'll think, what was all the fuss about because I think that already about the ones I have now, but prior to that they were a big deal to me. Its been hard work but once its finished you wonder if you'll use 75% of the things you learned doing it the MS, CompTIA way etc. IMO.

You being a man who's got both the experience and the certs, I take my hat off to you sir. Knowing how much graft goes into each cert I have nothing but respect for your achievements. I also agree that certs aren't the be all and end all having being spotted myself without having a single cert outside of my Degree & ITIL.

I think we can all learn from Zeb's response here in that yes, its nice to have a level of certs but that they are not essential. There's no reason you can't be an expert, just because you don't sit all the exams. I'm glad an expert and massive contributor to Cert Forums has given us an insight into how a person may feel once they have a number of the higher level certifications, VCP, MCSE, CCNA, CEH etc.

Cheers + Rep

Jim

PS Once I have met my objectives Cert wise, I'll certainly be taking some time out from the books/CBT's to spend time with family and get some more travels under my belt :D

18. Meshan

Meshan Bit Poster

I'm taking my MCITP for something to do.

I was made redundant a few months ago and I (hopefully) start a new job in September so this was something to pass the time. The job asked that I had an ECDL, which I took and it went from there.

I have no real desire to work in IT but I do have a desire to learn and know how things work. So I'm now determined to become fluent with computers.

Certifications: HCIMA, BIIAM, BSc (Hons),
    WIP: MCITP (70-622)
  19. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well for me it’s a structured way to keep my skills up to date. I only deal with MS stuff just now in my main job role but do branch out into other areas depending on what networking I am currently working on.

To be honest if you are pursuing certs to increase your technical knowledge then that’s great. It’s even better if you can combine that with technical experience to really boost your career prospects. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

To learn, update my knowledge, show my xp level and hopefully pass what I have learned onto others.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?