Why APIPA?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by MadHatter, Apr 21, 2012.

1. MadHatter

MadHatter Bit Poster

Hi, i have done my best to search for this but no use so here goes. If you have 4 xp based computers for lets say a SOHO and they don't need to get access to internet and hardware and networking costs are to be kept to minimum. Also the effort to configure and maintain the network should be minimum, what should you use? Should you use APIPA, DHCP or Static IP? Personally, if i were to select on answer then the order of precedence would be DHCP, static and last of all APIPA. BUT, according to CompTIA practice question score, my first choice should be APIPA:blink...I need to know why? Any help will be appreciated....

Regards

Certifications: CompTIA Network+
    WIP: CCENT
  2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

The questions states:

Therefore it is after the easiest method hence APIPA. DHCP needs configuring and static IPs need to be entered on host therefore harder to do and time consuming rather than letting APIPA get on with it.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. MadHatter

MadHatter Bit Poster

Thanks for the help mate, i guess i will have to get used to looking at the question from all perspectives, which i probably wasn't:ohmy ....Much appreciated

4. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

This is where exam technique comes in. You have to read the question very carefully as one word can often change the answer from one choice to another.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

in the real world....i don't know any situation where APIPA is used. Only thing i use it for is to signify the fact my device hasn't picked up n address from my DHCP server :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. MadHatter

MadHatter Bit Poster

Thats exactly how i was looking at it, commingling "real world" with my "theoratical" world but apparently CompTIA doesn't like it, so for the sake of 202£ spent on exam booking, i will try my best....LOL

Thank u all...

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Since the devices don't need to access the internet, and the business is SOHO, it's very unlikely they will have a DHCP server running. Normally in a SOHO DHCP is supplied by the access point. You don't have an access point (and certainly no server) because you have no internet requirement, therefore no DHCP.
    So, static then. Nope!
    "Also the effort to configure and maintain the network should be minimum"
    Maintaining a static IP infrastructure is more effort to configure and maintain than APIPA. You want to put a new device on the network: configuration required. You change a network card: configuration required.

APIPA is the only one that fits all the criteria. In the real world I'm sure we'd all take the hit on having to re-configure one of the 4 devices static IP address once in a blue moon.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

APIPA is rarely used in the real world but you need to know what it is. I had an issue with a NAS as it was on DHCP but for some reason would not pick up an IP address. I ended up patching it into small switch and also my laptop.

They both got 169 addresses and I was able to get into the NAS through the web interface and give it a static IP address and then put it back on the production LAN.

As I said APIPA is rarely used but always handy to know what it is when you are learning networking.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs