Who's offering the cheapest broadband & phone deals these days?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Urban Pauper, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Urban Pauper

Urban Pauper Bit Poster

I ask because I'm tired of waiting for the price to come down, and have realised that I'm currently paying £10.99 line rental + £6.99 dialup + all calls.

Doesn't seem logical to me, so I was hoping to get some info on the current marketplace...

Admin: (J) Moved t'Internet.

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I can't help you with London these days as I have been out of the smoke for a long time. All I can say is that if you are interested in computers and certifications which I know you are - you have got to get off dial-up, purely for your own sanity :D

Generally you get what you pay for with ISP's some of the best ones are not necessarily the cheapest and some of the cheapest are dreadful.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The prices for these as a package change so fast that anything I might look up will be obsolete by the time I actualy get to hit the 'post' button.

www.thinkbroadband.com (once upon a time adslguide) might help. The big players to watch for are Virgin (once NTL:Telewest), BSkyB, Carphone Warehouse and BT. There may be others appearing in the next few minutes.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Urban Pauper

Urban Pauper Bit Poster

so that explains why I was taken to virgin earlier when I typed in telewest, eh?

I really ought to start reading the business section of the paper to keep up!

virgin's offering phone and broadband for £20 per month for the next couple of weeks and a free modem. Now I'm looking for the catch...

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

That's 'expensive' - BSkyB are doing it and throwing in SkyTV access at £26 per month. Look foir the "See Speak Surf" ads.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO the two players are Virgin (NTL) and Sky.

I pref NTL broadband but sky TV so I save nothing there :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have put a few customers on Metronet (now part of Plusnet). If you just use your machine for sending e-mail and browsing the web, you can have some cheap bills! Bare in mind, if you hit the cap, it isn't as competitive. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

If you are in the right area for Sky LLU broadband you can get 16mbps for peanuts with a TV package. Unfortunately, they haven't unbundled my exchange yet but it's still fairly cheap (although haven't used it). I think for an all-in-one package I'd go for the cable option if I could get it.

At the moment I'm paying £20 a month just for ADSL which I know is expensive these days but I've been more than happy with the customer service and reliability so I'm happy to carry on paying the extra money for the time being.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I use NTL (or Virgin Media). I like it coz my IP addy hasn't changed since October which is good for me mail server. Plus NTL arn't that bothered that I'm running a mail server do long as it isn't relaying or used for spamming. However it's not as cheap as Sky

Anyone gonna comment on Sky broadband. How often does the ip address change speed router supplied free etc.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

And,

Demon is the first ISP where (because I haven't paid for a static IP) it changes every 24-48 hours! I was with Plusnet for 3 years previously, and although they din't advertise as a static being part of the service it stayed the same in that time.
    So NTL don't block 25 in or out? I could be wrong, but i thought i heard someone being kicked off a VPN - apparently it isn't in their T&C's.

11. Baba O'Riley

I use Demon as well and although I don't check it much as I don't run a mail server or owt, I'm 90% my IP address doesn't change very often at all.

Some things in their favour though 1. They don't block traffic (I can use the VPN to work from home, 2. They don't throttle P2P traffic and 3. Their usage limits are warm and fuzzy, rather than being set in stone 30GB per month, it's more like "if we think you are using up too much bandwidth, we'll write you a letter asking you to tone it down a bit".

WIP: 70-270
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, port 25 SMTP (email)

VPN different ports depending on the VPN tunneling protocol.

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Pete- I didn't make that post very clear - the e-mail server and VPN (ports) where two seperate issue's.

Baba- If you aren't paying the extra for a static, i would be interested to here if your IP does change as frequently as mine.

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok NP Si, just thought I would calrify things in case someone got misled :)

15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Si

I'm running my SBS server and getting mail fine. Had a few problems at first, but that was a DNS issue. So port 25 is fine. I think NTL only block the ports that Sasser and the like use (135). I can also remote desktop to my box as well :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

AJ,

Pleased to hear it mate. That is a Brucey bonus. :D

17. Baba O'Riley

I'll keep an eye on it Si.