Who uses Enterprise software

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Phoenix, Feb 13, 2008.

?

Do you use Enterprise Software

1. Yes, a variety and quite in depth

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Yes, not very much, just as part of my day to day role

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. No, but I have played around with it in the LAB and researched some if its possibilities

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Nope, not my job!

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I know a lot of you here are fresh into IT, a lot of you are still doing desktop support, but I think this is relevant for plenty of you as as well

how many of you use Enterprise software on a daily basis?
    generally that definition means things outside the scope of standard desktop software, office etc, and includes things like messaging platforms, database software (SQL, Oracle) ERP Software (SAP, Peoplesoft), Virtualisation such as VMware ESX, Hyper-V, Management platforms like Tivoli, HP OpenView, SMS

I run in to a client every now and then who, as IT managers/directors and such I felt would have an understanding of enterprise software, who in fact do not! (well, apart from Exchange and SQL lol)

So I put it to you folks, what Enterprise software to you use, what do you use it for, and for those of you looking for a growing career in IT, does Enterprise software interest you and have you tried to get a grip with some of it in your own time?

Answers on a postcard below please :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have only ever used SQL and Oracle mainly at university (infact it was the second highest scoring subject I did), I do have an old copy of Oracle and SQL at home but haven't had the time to sit down and mess about with. It's definately the choice for database development

I actually considered doing a DBA cert at one point and focussing my carreer that way as I enjoy scripting in SQL and found Oracle simple I just couldn't sit on my arse all day doing that though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I use it every day, it puts food on the table ! :biggrin

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I used Enterprise 1701-D software until she was destroyed. I currently use 1701-E software. Very nice!

Humor aside, I've used quite a bit of Enterprise software...
    • SQL (MS SQL)
    • messaging (Exchange, Notes a looong time ago)
    • enterprise-level anti-X software (Symantec, TrendMicro)
    • backup management apps (Arcserve, Veritas BE)
    • network management apps (many - almost pulled the trigger on purchasing NetMRI)
    • Internet monitoring apps (Websense)
    • software/patch management apps (Prism)
    • remote management apps (PCAnywhere, RDP, Dameware)
    • VPN connectivity apps (most recently, SonicWall VPN)
    • healthcare practice management apps (TouchChart, Misys, PACS)
    • enterprise helpdesk apps (Remedy, Track-IT)
    • enterprise fax apps (Faxsys, RightFax)

Not as much server-based virtualization or storage management experience as I would like to have.

Most IT managers and CIOs don't know a whole lot about Enterprise software. But they know all the buzzwords (even if the meanings are lost on them)! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

We’re pretty diverse so I'd say we use quite a bit Enterprise software. I’m sure I don’t know most of them, but here are some off the top:
    - Exchange (too obvious?)
    - Microsoft Office Communicator (internal IM)
    - Citrix
    - Sharepoint (Collaboration tool)
    - Tivoli
    - RIM Blackberry (does that count?)
    - Peregrine (ticketing system)
    - McAfee (Anti-Virus / Malware…)
    - VPN (remote / offsite user access)

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

ESX
    Exchange 2K3
    SQL 2K/2K5
    Oracle 9i/10g
    McAfee EPO
    Various network/system monitoring tools like SIM, PRTG etc
    BES
    Remote Access (Juniper SSLVPN, Radius, Safeword)
    Netscreen firewalls
    Sourcefire 3D IDS/NAC
    Sharepoint
    And of course the bespoke web and fat apps that are our raison d'etre :biggrin

Used pretty much everything in the past other than Lotus (never touched Notes/Domino as I've never worked anywhere that uses it - though funnilly enough my new place uses a CRM db that runs on Notes - and has been causing no end of problems cos it recently reached the maximum size possible (64Gb) without alerting anyone to the fact)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would say half of them, a good few of us (IT Managers) have come up thru the ranks of the operations/support side. But there are still too many that have just "drifted" into IT management without a clue of IT. Just look at the "IT Crowd", it may be a comedy but I bet it's based on real life :)

Anyway enterprise software that I've used:
    1. Exchange 5.5, 2000 & 2003 (testing out 2k7)
    2. Sharepoint 2k3 & 2k7 (just started)
    3. Oracle (use to about 3 1/2 years ago)
    4. MS SQL 2000 & 2005
    5. VPN, Remote Access, Terminal Services, Citrix (a few years ago)
    6. SIMS (a MIS system) & Bromcom (another MIS system to a lesser extent)
    7. Panda & McAfee Enterprise Editions
    8. Remote management apps (RDP & NetOp)
    9. Ranger
    10. ISA & Netsweeper
    11. WSUS & SUS
    12. Hornbill SupportWorks Helpdesk
    13. Veritas
    14. Of course MS Server OS: NT4, 2k & 2k3 and directly working with AD in a live corporate environment- you can't get anymore enterprise than that :)

That's just off the top of my head.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. BosonMichael

Mmm... yeah, I'd have to agree with your estimate of 50%, maybe bit better if you limit it to just IT Managers. CIOs, on the other hand, are largely clueless... I'd have to say that the percentage of CIOs with a real-world IT knowledge deficiency approaches 75%. Most of them are simply business execs who "enjoy technology".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Damn it :(
    I need a job where I get exposure to this!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  10. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Over the last 6 years or so....

1) Exchange 5.5, 2k and 2003
    2) Oracle 10g
    3) SQL 2000 and 2005
    4) WSUS
    5) Microsoft CRM
    6) Sharepoint and Enterprise Portal
    7) Lotus Notes\Domino
    8 ) Blackberry Enterprise Server
    9) ISA
    10) AV – NOD32, Sophos, McAfee and Symantec
    11) Symantec Backup Exec (it will always be Veritas to me!)
    12) TrackIT, Remedy
    13) WhatsUp (monitoring software)
    14) SAP (did some SAP admin a few years back!)
    15) Virtual Server (running a virtual NT domain to support discontinued software)
    16) Operating systems: NT, 2k, 2003
    17) Fedora Core 5 (this customer didn’t like Windows!)
    18 ) Novell Netware (for 3 weeks while I migrated to a Windows domain)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with that, think that they can manage IT just because they have the latest blackberry. Me personally, I like mixed berries in my breakfast cereal :tongue:lol:

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Well at this point of my career I don't really use many of the Enterprise Sofware, however I do use a few:

BlackBerry Enterprise server
    McAfee EPO
    WSUS 2.0
    Citrix

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. BosonMichael

You'll get one... it just takes time. :)

14. BosonMichael

Ever since Jim Balsillie (founder of RIM) tried to buy the Predators and jerk them out of Nashville and into Hamilton, Ontario, I've had an intense dislike for Blackberries. :twisted:

15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

No offence intendid but I was in favour of the move! :rolleyes:
    If the Preds have enough fan support in their current place they should stay. The way it was played here was the team had no local interest and was moving to Kansas or Vegas :eek:. So between a choice to Hamilton or another non-hockey city - I pick Hamilton.

Maybe then I could afford a ticket to see a game! :dry

16. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

You may want a team in Hamilton, but the NHL is clearly trying to grow interest in non-traditional cities. Adding a team to Hamilton just further divides the Canadian fanbase around Toronto, which does nothing to help the NHL grow.

Furthermore, the way it was played here is that Balsille had no intention of moving the team; he would leave it here in Nashville as long as it was viable. It became exceedingly clear that this wasn't true...he intended to move the team as soon as possible. He certainly didn't ingratiate himself with the NHL when he started selling season tickets in Canada to a team that 1) he didn't yet own, 2) infringed upon the Predator's copyright, and 3) that he repeatedly stated he didn't intend to move.

Fortunately, for those of us in Nashville who are hockey fans, a local ownership group popped up and bought the team. I have been rather disappointed, however, in the fan support the Predators have received outside of the core fanbase. After a big rally and seemingly constant talk on the radio about the Predators and how important it is that the fans support them, attendance has been about the same or slightly less than last year. Hopefully, they'll make the playoffs again this year, which may revive fan interest. I hope so.

Now, back to topic. I suspect that the Predators office probably uses Enterprise Software. :D

17. BosonMichael

Of course the TO media is gonna spin it as anti-Nashville, as does Scott Burnside, noted Preds-hater. It's not in their best interest to provide ANY positive spin regarding the NHL in "non-traditional markets". They'd prefer that Nashville, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa, Miami, Dallas, and Phoenix surrender their teams and move across the northern border. For that matter, the grudge against Colorado is still strong (understandably so).

The team has local fan interest. What they didn't have was corporate support because the owner was not a connected Nashville businessman - he was an outsider from Milwaukee who didn't know who to approach or how to approach them. Hopefully corporate support will improve now that we have local ownership. Time will tell. And time is what will improve the fan base, when the 5-year-old kids who grow up with hockey turn 15, then 25, and start buying season tickets of their own.

KC would have been a bad move. They'd have to start with very little existing fan base, just like Nashville. Worse, KC's had an NHL team before, and lost them.

Josh, the attendance is just as low as it ever was because they've had to compete with football. Now that that's over, you'll start to see attendance increase. The Sommet Center was sold out for the Tuesday Wings game, and they pulled 14K for the matchup against Tampa Bay - not bad for a Thursday!

EDIT: The NHL likely uses Enterprise software. 8)

18. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Me wanting it in Hamilton was obvious a selfish thing – no denying :twisted:
    The NHL is actually doing OK in some US cities, but if they really wanted to sell it in the US, they would market it on a real sports television network. No disrespect to Versus, but the ratings have dropped since ESPN didn’t get the contract. As for Balsille he did come off slimy. Though the ticket thing was to show the NHL that Hamilton could support a team (NHL has argued for 15-yrs that Hamilton could not)

I dunno about the NHL using enterprise software, but I’m sure ESPN does :)

19. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Oh boy…:blink
    Honestly, the anti-Nashville thing didn’t happen. It was anti-Bettman because everyone knew he wouldn’t allow the move. The feeling here is he’ll kill off any CDN team for a US team, not a feeling that flies well :( . Specifically, the Hamilton market keeps Buffalo Sabres alive. Who hates Colorado? The feeling here is they know how to make a good team – they do it right!

The fan base will grow – agreed. We saw the same thing with the Raptors (T.O’s NBA team).
    The previous KC disaster is the reason people wanted the team in a hockey hotbed. Especially if it failed in Nashville (which you're telling it is not).

This was never meant as a knock on Nashville, the city, or the people. BTW, is the Grizz invite off? :biggrin
    :offtopic - The NBA must be using Enterprise software.

20. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

"Josh, the attendance is just as low as it ever was because they've had to compete with football. Now that that's over, you'll start to see attendance increase. The Sommet Center was sold out for the Tuesday Wings game, and they pulled 14K for the matchup against Tampa Bay - not bad for a Thursday!"

I realize that they've had to compete with Football in the fall, but football's been over in Nashville for 6 weeks. Furthermore, they routinely sell out the Red Wings games, because in addition to the Preds fans, there's a huge fanbase for Detroit, even here in Nashville. I did notice that the Tampa Bay game was better attended than the other two games I've been to, both of which were after football season ended. At any rate, I hope we rise above 29th in attendance ratings. If we don't, I don't see how the new owners can make any money and they'll likely move the team in the future, which would be a real shame. I'm just a little surprised that with all the publicity and support that the Preds have gotten that more people aren't making it out to see the games. I certainly hope this changes as we move closer to the playoffs.

Note that ESPN probably also uses Enterprise Software.