who to use for mcdst??

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by kr1s77, Jan 20, 2009.

1. kr1s77

kr1s77 Bit Poster

hi all, in new so please take it easy on me :D. i want to take the MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) home learner route. the thing is that i'm not sure where to apply to get the course. i have seen prices from £400 - £1350. can you please email/pm me with sites to get it from, it you can't post them. i have some IT knowledge, not much :eek: i'm in birmingham if that helps.

e-mail removed to prevent member from being spammed

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: Access to IT
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I have removed your e-mail address to prevent you from receiving Spam. This will not prevent members of the forum from sending you private messages.

I would suggest you decide on what method of learning suits you best. Classroom based, distance learning, self study?
    I would say the MCDST is possible for a newbie (assuming you are of course!) If you are commited to learning about the topics (XP, IE and Outlook)

Good luck.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. kr1s77

kr1s77 Bit Poster

thanks for the edit, didn't think about the spamming!!

i want to do the self study route as i would be doing the course at home and at work, if i can get away with it. i am also trying to get my work to pay for it :biggrin

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. kr1s77

kr1s77 Bit Poster

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yes but you also need the other 70-272 version for the other exam to get your MCDST. It sounds to me like self study would be your best option so no need to pay anyone any money apart from the people who sell you the books.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Id recommend the MSpress books, also hands on experience will really help with this, so might be worth looking into VMWare, thats if you dont have an XP machine to play with.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Duplicate Post

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. michael78

I used an exam cram for the first exam as I already had a lot of experience in that field but used the MS Book for the second exam as I had no experience at the time with Exchange which the exam is heavily based on and found the MS book really good. I would probably stick to the MS books for the MCDST. Also I wouldn't pay to do a course and stick to doing self study for the MCDST.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  10. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Can you explain what the exchange topic is all about for 272?

I thought you need a decent knowledge of office 2003,a knowledge of internet explorer and outlook express and nothing at all beyond that.

Exchange isn't office.

College use microsoft office for the 272.

Exchange is not even mentioned in the exam objectives.
    The list contains internet explorer,outlook express and microsoft office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-272.mspx

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  11. michael78

I wonder if it's changed then as when I did the exam there were a load of questions about linking Outlook into Exchange and I failed the exam first time around. I took the exam when it first came out and got Chartered Status.

Can someone else clear this up who has taken the cert or have I lost my marbles.

12. kr1s77

kr1s77 Bit Poster

thanks for the replies, i'll have to get onto work to sort this out. mind you, they have been busy lately making 60 poeple redundant, not good :(

13. kr1s77

kr1s77 Bit Poster

i spoke to the training officer at work today, he said it has been approved and they are going to pay for it :biggrin. they are doing it through ICS, should maybe another week or so before i get the stuff to start :eek:

14. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

I passed the 272 exam a couple of weeks ago and i dont recall anything about exchange in it at all.

I'd say maybe its changed...

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  15. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I am curretnly doing this and Exchange isn't covered in the book nor it is it in the exam objectives. You have to understand Outlook and Outlook Express so some vague knoeldge of Echange will be needed such as how to set it up and connect and troubleshoot connections to exchange but thats still all outlook knowledge isn't?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  16. kr1s77

kr1s77 Bit Poster

finally got it, got 2 books by "James M. Stewart" and "Ron Carswell" and a interactive cd from ics.will start tomorrow :)