Who sells Dell Laptops?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Aug 11, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I decided Dell is the way im going to get a latop... but i hit a brick wall... i have to have a UK credit card to pay online for it. SO which outlets in the UK sell dell laptops? Im not going to have time to get one before my account and stuff is setup so anyone got some advice for me?? :biggrin

Thanks and ill bring beer when i come - oh sh11 they will make drink it all before i get on the plane!:(

edit: anyone used overclockers.co.uk ?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Dell tend to be the only people who sell Dell laptops to private customers. I dont think there are any shops that sell them individually. Overclockers is a pretty good site, never had any problems with them.

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you see they would be a big help (Overclockers) because my billing address can be different from the delivery address and dell dont do that.....:(

4. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Sorry I never realised OC sold Dell laptops, you should have no problem ordering from them.

Normally very quick on delivery also, far quicker than Dell.
    It tends to be common practise with UK online shops in that your first order must go to billing address, after that it can go anywhere.

www.dabs.co.uk are also highly recommended if you dont want a dell...boy :biggrin

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i used to work for a Fujitsu siemens and hp laptop service centre and knowing the problems they have has put me off them... Ibm thinkpad r50e is good and reliable.. but im going with dell...:biggrin

6. Ken

Ken Bit Poster

I wouldn't buy a Dell laptop if I were you.
    I have been through two in the last 2 years, and my girlfriend's has constantly got problems too.
    First off, the power circuitry on both models (now scrapped) was dodgy. Sent them back for numerous repairs. They came back OK and then three weeks later, same problems. One was completely knackered, the other just shut off when it felt like it.
    All three models also had those touch pad affairs in place of a mouse. These are a royal pain in the arse too. And this is the most interesting / frustrating thing: all three models had the peculiar habit of auto right clicking when the pointer was over an icon. This is seriously dangerous if you're doing online transactions and so on. No matter how much I farted around with the settings, I just couldn't resolve this.
    I've had two Dells in two years, and one IBM Thinkpad for five and half. The Thinkpad has only one problem (a tempremental USB port), but apart from that nothing.
    My advice: save a bit more and pay a bit more.

7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Six months ago my work supplied me with a Latitude D810 (Widescreen). I've had the screen on it replaced twice: 1st one was at an angle, 2nd was very dull and "misty", they managed to get it right on the 3rd attempt.

However, apart from that the laptop has been great! I have the proper docking station to go with it too.

My boss has recently bought a dell laptop from Dell direct; he is very happy with his purchse.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Go for a Lenovo they are far superior to anything else.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I've used overclockers many of times, highly recommend. Good forum community as well. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I order just about everything from overclockers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

tut tut boys :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I take it you guys replied to a spammer and the post was removed hence the near 5 year gap in replies :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

You know what... I didn't notice that! FAIL :(

Usually notice a spammer, didn't, saw the other post so posted lol! I blame GBL! ;)

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Yeah you can't take him anywhere :p

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

:angel I can not tell a lie, it was I :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

:devilflam

17. martincrow

martincrow Bit Poster

I think dell will be a right choice for you, and for the support you can join the community of customers, i also purchased my inspiron from a dell dealer, but it was not a good experience for me, because owner of that outlet was so weird that for the first time i cancelled my order, but then i talked to the dell customer service and they helped me a lot. It was the same person who changed completely and dealt me very well.