Who gets the best job

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by westernkings, Feb 3, 2011.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yb5kv/Who_Gets_the_Best_Jobs/

Just been watching this and it raised a question in my head;

1. Is it a professional job?
    2. At what level in the IT Career do you transition from working in IT, to being a "typical" professional on comparison with a journalist etc.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I started watching it last night. Got bored at the journalist stage (after the fasion volunteers) and watched something else instead.

I was expecting to see bankers, politicians, CEO's, enterpreneurs, etc.

Personally I don't agree with it. It's obvious that rich people will have the ability to educate their kids more as well as the connections to help them out. But isn't that normal thing?

I know for a fact that everything I do to progress my career is so my kids have it easier and so on. If someone's parents and grandparents were slackers, who's fault is it that kids haven't had the chance to shine?

This thought actually comes from other show I saw on TV. It was about super smart kids at one point in time and then 5 years later. Kids that went to private schools and were looked after by parents have progressed a lot more than kids that were super smart 5 years earlier but parents didn't have the cash to pull this off.

Other than that I still think UK is not too bad when it comes to ability to progress your career based on your abilities and not family name/wealth. Eastern Europe is a lot worse. You can't even get a crappy job if you don't have connections. Top jobs are reserved only for the 'elite'.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think once you start doing paperwork and responding to emails all day then you become more of an aministration professional with advanced IT skills instead of being an IT professional.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

That was quite a good show, especially that the university of Wolverhampton was shown.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I haven't watched the episodes. However, I agree with Luke's comments. Kids from more affluent families do have a much better chance. So be it; that's just life (and, as Luke said, that's why I work hard - to make a good future for MY kids). However, even if your family isn't wealthy or well-connected, you can still get a great job (or even become the POTUS, for that matter) and do quite well.

My family wasn't anywhere near rich, but I applied myself and did well. Now, I focus on my sons and encourage them to do well, giving them a positive mindset so as to better prepare themselves for the future. They're not likely to do well if I park myself in front of the TV or PC and ignore them, focusing only on myself. So what I do will go a long way to making things better - or worse - for them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!