Who finds it easier to write on their books, and highlight ect.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by beaumontdvd, Jan 15, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone, this is a really random thread but does anyone find it easier to write on their books and highlight the important info, for when they go over it all to revise. Does anyone have any really good learning techniques that may help other people? comments please :) Thanks everyone 8)

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I scribble all over the book (in pencil) when I'm studying, and use post-it notes to mark interesting pages or things I need to cover in more detail.

If I wrote my notes anywhere else I'd lose them.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Dear gods no! I hate writing on books. I used to dog-ear books but cant even manage that any more.

The only exception (and it was a tough decision) is my chinese books.

If you are also one of those people who, in addition to writing all over your books, puts it open, face down, then pushes it down until the spine cracks and it doesnt close on its own, I already hate you.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I usually read through the chapter, then go over it again taking notes on lined paper and then revise these notes.

I am going to try another method as i am finding the network+ alot of theory. After taking my notes i am then using my phones as a dictaphone, so i can listen to my notes on the way to work and things like that. Well, that is the plan.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I have yet to find a suitable method - some reading and note taking, other reading lots and creating mind-maps, and I still haven't found the right answer.

The net+ does have a lot of theory and little practical, so unfortunately learning the principles of the theory is probably the only way to do it - as that is how I did it.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. Fergal1982

Try the Leitner System

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I try and summarise important information in my own words on a pad.
    It acts as a handy revision tool, plus the brain has to do an extra bit of processing when you write something down, especially if you don't just copy it word for word.

I don't see the advantage of writing in a book. Firstly all the information is already in there and secondly you have to go through the whole book again to find your notes.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

and as Fred said - its a nice and shiny crisp book, making any marks, tears, fold, etc in it is sacrilege!

9. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for all the replys, I guess everyone has their own personal method of revising, I personally like to highlight key information and then next to it in the book right a brief description but simply in my own words. So it explains it in a way I understand and when I re-read the paragraph in detail. I find this method easier, but thanks for all the differnt replies Im going to try differnt ways to see what ones best :D

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  10. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I will have a look at this later as the book comes with flashcards on the cd.

cheers

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Have you had much success with this? Has anyone?

12. Fergal1982

I haven't used it yet, but the principle is sound. It just ensures that you spend more time focusing on the new/hard to learn aspects of whatever you are learning.

13. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I used something similar for my A+. It's certainly a great time-saver if you have a large amount of flash-card friendly data to memorise.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  14. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I buy nearly all my books new+used on Amazon, i can handle the fact that they may have some scribbles in but my pet hate is when the answers are highlighted/Circled in the questions at the end of each chapter! I cant really complain as i always buy books a couple of exams ahead of where im at and buy them usually for around £3/£4 each!

15. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

I fully agree with this and can confirm my partner also uses this technique. He creates notes as he is studying which helps the information sink in a bit more and also allows for additional re-reading of the sections he finds more difficult.
    After the study session is over he completes test questions and reviews the notes he has taken.

I must confess the partner I am speaking of is one of your respected members but to keep you all guessing I am not going to say which one:twisted: - he has helped me appretiate the material he is working on by explaining what he has learnt to me. I hope this also helps his preparation as he starts to understand it more while he is trying to get someone else to see the benefits of what he is learning.

I must say with my minimal knowledge sometimes all I can do is sit, nod and smile politely but I am sure he appreciates the audience all the same :oops:

I think sometimes it is useful to discuss what you are learning with other people which is also why the forums have become so highly recommended by so many diferent people. If you want help and advice on how best to move forward, this is the place to get it.

After getting 100% on a Vista test exam I might just have to try and study a bit more myself as I think I may have a knack for it - and it will come in useful when he owns his own IT business :p

Atiaran

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCDST
  16. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Personally I find that if you write notes or just highlight the keypoints in the books it sticks in your memory more than just reading it blank. I find taking notes pointless since I lose things! :(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  17. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

I tend to buy a couple of notepads and take notes without highlighting or writing in the book. I also use mindmaps as I find drawing helps me remember. I like keeping my books free from markings as I sometimes sell them on ebay or amazon. (Although I have kept my last two for future reference)

18. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Totally agree! Does my motherfking nut in!
    :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, gotta keep the books in good condition. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Agreed :D God we are sad OCD people...... :cry:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3