While interconnecting LANs, how should i decide whether i use switch or router at the

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kobem, Jan 16, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

First, let's complete the sentence on title with "edge" word. I had learned that we generally use layer 3
    devices such as routers at the edges of each site. But, when i heard metro ethernet and metro ethernet
    switches are installed at the edges, i am confused.

So, what is the consideration point for which type of device i should deploy at the edges while
    interconnecting LANs? routers or switches?

Second question ; During IPSec VPN and going through Internet , are routers at the edges of company sites also connected to modems(since public Internet is made use of) ?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'll wait for Zeb's picture, if that's OK.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

"Some things will never change"

[2pac]

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You do know you can have layer 3 switches right?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That means its a router too.

Kobem you are CCNA certified but do not know basic networking how is this possible?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

We all know the answer to that one.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If nothing else, this chap should get 10/10 for persistance and effort.

I did think I was experiencing deja vu when I read the question though. Sounds exactly like the questions he used to ask a while back.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It's very similar to a router but it's not exactly like a router... from my understanding switches don't support WAN and QoS as well... unless I am mistaking. Other than that, routing functionality based on IP is the same.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Functionality. Use the one that gives you the features you need. Simple as that.

This is why we recommend getting real-world experience before tackling the CCNA. Otherwise, it's just useless, theoretical knowledge that you don't understand how to apply in a practical application. You think we're being harsh on you, when in reality, we've been trying to help you for years.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i had mentioned layer 2 switches. If i wanted to mention layer 3 switches , i would say "layer 3
    switches" . However, my real target is metro ethernet switches here. I know they do not have routing
    capability but are used for Internet connection while implementing MPLS with metro ethernet.

and for my second question, i point out again.
    are routers connected also modems for Internet connection (while doing IPsec VPN over Internet) ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Erm, no, you mentioned layer 3 in your original post :blink

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  12. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i would suggest you to read my first post carefully. I said "i knew that layer 3 devices were installed but,
    when i heard metro ethernet switches, i am confused" . What is this supposed to explain?

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They don't have routing capability? Are you sure about that?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

What are switches?

Think like a postman, all the houses are numbered so the postman knows where to go and does not have bother any other home owners.

I would have thought switches are used with an ADSL router for example help connect up so many computers to the network/internet and generate mimimum network traffic.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  15. greenbrucelee

Kobem I know that you are not going to listen to my advice but I will say it anyway. You need to learn networking basics, you need to learn Network+ because Cisco is beyond you, we have been saying this for years you are trying to run before you can walk and that doesn't work.

16. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I actually think he's just a troll.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  17. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Agreed. I think it has been well established that posts are either random witterings, or posts asking questions he either knows and wants to troll, or doesnt know, and wont listen to advice on.

I think we've about exhausted the point, and it's now more or less at the point where we should just start ignoring these posts and moving on.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  18. greenbrucelee

I actually do not think he is a troll I think he is another version of prof falken. He wants you to do all his work and doesn't take kindly to being told that he is going wrong.

19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Plus a language barrier...

20. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I think he is absolutely great.:)