Which vmware version should I use to set up a virtual network?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by hugorilho, Apr 5, 2009.

1. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Hi guys. There's loads of versions of the VMWare product. In order to build a virtual network to study for the mcdst which one should I use? VMWare workstation? And does it support USB?

Certifications: MCDST
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Is there any reason why you need VMWare specifically? If you were going to use a product to do virtual PC's, why not see if Virtual PC from MS is what you need? After all it's free, unlike VMWare workstation (VMWare Player is free, but you can only run VM in it, you can't create VM's in it) and lots of people use Virtual PC up to MCSA/MCSE level to assist in studying.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

I was told it is more stable and it supports USB which is useful, for example, to try and infect the whole network and see how to troubleshoot when that situation occurs.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

VMWare Workstation isn't free - but VMWare Server certainly is. You could also look at using ESX 3i, which is VMWare's bare-metal hypervisor without all the bells and whistles that the full-blown ESX gives you. You'd need to make sure your hardware is on the compatibility list though, as ESX is very restrictive about which hardware it will run on.

Also, you could try out VirtualBox - which is also free, and, like VMWare Server, has USB support.

IMO - which, obviously, is just an opinion - VirtualPC is a crappy product - I've never found it to be as stable as VMWare's free offerings, and certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of running any production systems on it. however, if you're just playing around with it, I guess that it's as good as any of the other alternatives - however, you should consider that most places that run virtualisation seriously use ESX on an Enterprise level and VMWare Server on a departmental basis.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Thanks guys, specially zebulebu. Right on man.