which virtual software....

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by 5cr3w8all, Oct 23, 2005.

1. 5cr3w8all

5cr3w8all Bit Poster

Which is the best virtual software for practicing setting up etc.?

Certifications: none as yet.
    WIP: CCNA and MCSE
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Opinions vary. I pinned a thread on the Virtual PC vs. VMware shootout at the top of this forum for references. Here's the link:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread2671.html

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As Trip said, opinions vary.

I use Virtual PC, but thats only because I get it 'free' through my works licensing. Otherwise I'd probably use VMWare.

It depends on what you want to install aswell, as Virtual PC doesn't seem to like 'non' microsoft operating systems very much.

:biggrin

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i got a question guys cause i might have to go this way (VM) sometime soon.. to run 4 OS lets say which need 128MB each do you need a total of 512MB in your PC or more?

Eg Server-XP-XP-XP lets say (i know the memory requirements arent exact but im trying to get an idea here)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, if you run 4 OS's each with 128 meg ram, that's 512 meg ram just for your VM's. You still need memory for your host machine. With 512 meg of memory, you could run 3 OS's with 128 meg ram and that would leave 128 for your host machine.

I have both VMware and Virtual PC. I got Virtual PC with my Action Pack subscription and I bought VMware. I prefer VMware due to it's customization.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

TG is dead on about the memory requirements. You need memory both both your VMs and host. Keep in mind that if you overtax the hosts RAM, you'll end up paging like mad and your host and VMs will either run as slow as hogs or in some extreme instances, will refuse to respond at all.

I run 1.25 GB of RAM and wish I had more.

Certifications: A+ and Network+