Which version of VMware should I use for Network+ ?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Neil, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Hi all,

For my Network+ studies, I want to play around with Server 2003 and XP WITHOUT using 2 different systems, hard drives or dual-booting. Everyone suggests that VMware is the way to go, since you can create multiple virtual systems with different OS's, etc. However, when I checked I saw that there were many different versions of VMware with all sorts of stuff.

I have NO knowledge of VMware, except that it was what my teacher had on all the PCs that we used during our PC tecnician course (it enabled use to play around with Win98, Win2000, Win2000 Server & XP). That was years ago and I'm now beginning to see the importance of it. I would just like you guys to tell me which version of VMware would be the best to use for my studies. Especially one that does not demand alot from a cpu. I read several threads over time with you guys recommending VMware for this type of study, but can you plase recommend the best version for me to use? Thanks in advance! :biggrin

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

If you are looking at getting VMware free, then:

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

VM Server is the thing. (Used to be called GSX)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Thank you very much! I'm checking out the info on the site and starting the download. Even though its free, I sure hope that it doesn't have any limitations which would require you to get the "full version".

Ok, I just checked it.......its definitely FREE........NO LIMITATIONS!!! Thanks a bunch mate!

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

And again, to inject some realism here. VMWare Server is designed to run on a Server Host. Ie you install it onto a system already running a server OS (such as Win Server 2003).

If you intend to install it onto a Client OS (such as XP) you need to purchase VMWare workstation.

Beyond this, you can install any of the supported OS' into the vmware app as client OS', regardless of if they are a server or a client.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. Fergal1982

I dig this link out so often, i really should just put it in my favourite:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/server_admin_manual.pdf

check out the host system requirements on page 7:

obviously thats for windows host systems, linux will be different.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

I read the requirements and the data sheet on the site. I'll be using a separate hard drive specially for this. I already have Server 2003 and that's what I'll install on the drive before I set up VMware. However, one question - There were 2 downloads: the server setup (which I already downloaded) and the client components. Can you tell me if I should also download the client comps or its not really necessary?

8. Fergal1982

Im not entirely sure. Initially, I thought you meant the vmware tools that are installed on the client machines, but now im not so sure. It could be the ACE stuff, but i doubt that too, since it would likely state that it is ACE. Phoenix may have a better idea what it is, when he comes along, as I know he uses VMWare more extensively than I do.

I wouldnt think just using the server install would do you any harm though, it should just install fine with that.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm pretty confident that whilst this may be listed as a requirement this is more from a supported configuration angle
    I have run server on a desktop OS, no problems!

the same way ESX says it requires a min of two physical procs, runs fine on one, its just not supported,

I cant test the CURRENT server build on my desktop as I use workstation and the two conflict, but i'm pretty sure OS choice is not a major deal here

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Fergal1982

absolutely. i never said it wouldnt run, just that the requirements state that its designed for a server host. A few people in the past have had issues with using the server app on a client OS host, and using the correct version solved the issue.

Its like any piece of software, they list their requirements, and if you can get it to work on something else, fair play, just dont expect help if/when things go belly up.

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Since its free, you're not likely to get much support from them if it does go belly up anyway :biggrin

FWIW, I've run domains on a workstation for six months - full test environments with three DCs, ISA and Exchange - without any problems whatsoever. I'd never do it in production, but its fine for learning. You might need a good processor and plenty of RAM though!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em