Which version of Vista for 70-620

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by VantageIsle, Aug 27, 2007.

1. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Right, I plan to learn the Vista O/S (slowly alongside all my other projects) and hopefully sit my 70-620 next early-ish year.

I have priced up the parts for a budget vista ready PC for about £300. On this pc I plan to install a Vista, a version of Linux and keep a spare partion for the installation of the Trial version of XP pro that came with my MCDST book or I may buy XP pro OEM in time. I already have win XP home on mylaptop and another PC, I also use and support users with XP pro at work so I can drop the XP idea too keep things more simple if needed.

My question is, which version of Vista will I need to learn for the 70-620? I'm guessing its going to be the ultimate version(£300!!!! yikes) and thats a bit pricy. I'm on a tight budget and I don't really want to spend more than £100 on the o/s but of I have to I will bite the bullet and shell out for it.

Just wondering what versions of Vista you lot are running, especially those of you who have studied or are working towards the 70-620 exam.

Thanks in advance... excuse my rambling post:D

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

If you are buying the parts, buy an OEM version of Vista. About 100 quid depending on where you shop, and that seems to be regardless of the specific version.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Hmmmm, cheers Fergal, had a poke around on Ebuyer and an OEM version is £115 which is a bit better than £300 plus for the retail!!

Problem is I think I would need to practice installation of Vista for the Exam (or would I, I'm not too sure..:blink perhaps someone would confirm this) and an OEM version can be installed once only right?

However if this is not the case I should be ok with £115.

I just want the best version to learn from for the 70-620 and to get a head start because before I know it, I will be supporting Vista users. And I know it wont be long before some of the PCs in our demo and training rooms will be running Vista.

Any info or input before I splash out my hard earned wonga would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  4. Fergal1982

no, thats wrong. Vista can be installed as many times as you like, but its tied to a specific machine. So you can only install it onto the one machine.

However, and this is true of all versions of Vista, reinstallation requires reactivation and, if it goes anything like my (repeated) activations, you will need to fail the online activation, fail the telephone activation, and speak to someone to get it reactivated.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Needs to be installed on to the same comp because of the MB as well. Change the motherboard and vista will give you the finger. Unless they have changed that lately.

6. Fergal1982

The installation itself wont. The Install has no way of determining that its even been installed before. The activation may well do however. I've only ever installed it onto the same machine and activated (several times), and whilst i have to speak to their helpdesk, I've never had any problems reactivating it.

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I believe there is a grace period for activation of 30 days, so you should be able to install and wipe etc.. without hassle as long as you don't activate it. Might be less than 30 days, but there is defo a grace period on the Business Edition, and I'm pretty sure there is on the copy of Ultimate we got from MS as part of our Software Assurance benefits.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Some features are available only on the Business/Enterprise editions, and some features are available only on the Home Basic/Premium editions. Everything can be found on Ultimate.

That said, do you HAVE to have Ultimate to pass the exam? No... but realize that you won't be able to try everything out, hands-on, unless you do.

Even with Ultimate, you may have trouble testing certain features... for example, you need a wireless card to study the sections on wireless... you'd need a laptop/tablet to be able to use Mobility Center... you'd need a device that supports Windows SideShow to work with SideShow... you'd need a Media Center Extender device to use MCE... and I don't know *anyone* who has a wireless network projector so you can practice connecting to one!

Do you HAVE to have all that stuff? No. The 70-620 exam is not overly difficult. But knowledge is always good, and the more you can practice on, the better your chances will be... and the better tech you'll be out in the "real world".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

There is the grace period and if you look around the net you'll find instructions on how to 'reset' the grace period (up to 4 times). Doing this means that you can install and not have to activate for nearly 120 days. This will also get you the time needed for multiple installs.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

If you planning to study for the 70-620 exam, I would recommend this book:-
    MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-620): Configuring Windows Vista Client Book/CD Package

It has nearly all you need to know to pass the exam, they recommend installing about 10 times I think to make sure you know how to do it blind folded.

You can get the book from here:- http://www.bookfellas.co.uk/scripts/browse.asp?ref=823974 £27.88 if you have not already got a copy.

If you still thinking about putting XP on the same pc as Vista you know you have to install XP first.

Hope this helps, I am using the book myself to upgrade my MCDST to MCITP.

Regards

Toasty

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The version that I used for both the 71-621 and the 70-620 was the Enterprise Edition (the Business edition upgrade for software assurance customers). IMO, the ultimate edition will give you hands on experience for everything that Vista has to offer, but is not really required.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security