Which training provider??

Discussion in 'A+' started by petethemanc, Jan 23, 2009.

1. petethemanc

petethemanc Bit Poster

Hi

I left the military year ago now and have been employed mostly in the data cabling side of things. Although now i would like to get into the networking side of things, which i enjoy. I am entitled to £2300 per year for three years through the government sponsored enhanced learning scheme. As i have no formal qualifications with this side of things i know i would have to start off with entry level courses as apparently ccna is not a course to take for newbies? Now i only get one chance at passing whatever choice i take so i have to make it count first time. I tried Koenig but they are not elc accredited so i can not use them, there is also bluescreenit who offer this course CompTIA Triple qualification. This is all 3 - CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ here http://www.bluescreenit.co.uk/hmforces/elcctp.htm. But i would have to go to plymouth and spend money on accommodation which would raise the fees. Im located in Hudderfield, does anybody here know of a good reputable provider who may be able to offer these courses at roughly the same price. Appreciated if you can as im hitting a brick wall with trying to find a reputable provider. Hopefully you guys (and gals) might be able to help me out.

Thanks

Certifications: SDH/PON/AIR BLOWN FIBRE/
    WIP: Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Do you really need a course?

Some of us like myself would have to travel quite a distance to do courses so I self study. That is getting the books myself and practicng what I learn at home.

Id I get stuck I can ask for advice on here.

Then I take the exams when I am ready.

This could be an option for you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. petethemanc

petethemanc Bit Poster

Well i could learn myself and take the exams, that is an option. The reason i was looking at a course was because i have mrs and two kids here, which makes it a little harder to learn with zero distractions. Also, i would get all three certs in a shorter time.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

look at your local college for courses.

Most training providers are self study anyway. They just give you books and tell you to read them, some have the odd workshop.

A college course would sound better for you in my opinion as you would be doing most of your learning in a class based environment.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. petethemanc

petethemanc Bit Poster

True, i am a bit limited to time though, to move out of the area of employment that im in and into the one that i want to be in.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Might I suggest avoiding the brick wall entirely? I also advocate self study. I've got a wife and two kids as well... I simply make the time to study, usually when they're in bed, fast asleep. Occasionally I'll even study at lunch. If I rode the transit system on the way in (which isn't possible for me), I'd study every single day while travelling to work. In truth, I study when it's convenient for me... not when it's convenient for a training center to offer the class. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's not a race. Are you taking the classes just to pass an exam or to become a better tech? If the former, by all means, take a class and memorize/regurgitate just enough to pass. If the latter, then take the time to do it right: dig into what you're studying to the point where you truly understand the concepts completely.

Build a solid foundation, and your career that you place upon it will be much more stable.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. petethemanc

petethemanc Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies, yes i could do the self study route as i said, but, the finance for the courses are given by the military as a use them or lose them thing. And seeing as though it is gratis then it would be foolish of me not to use the funds i am being given for free. I pick things up very easily and i think i would still be a good tech after completing a course, i dont ever just leave it there once i have completed one. I carry on reading and bettering myself afterwards. I have done the same with the previous courses funded by the military and have always moved on to better paid positions with more responsibility with every role. So the reason i am asking for course proveiders, is because if i dont use the funds....then i lose them, so why not put it to use.

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Apart from professional certifications, have you thought about something along the lines of the HNC in Computing/IT?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security