Which training provider for MCITP?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by adamramsey91, May 8, 2012.

1. adamramsey91

adamramsey91 Bit Poster

Hi

I have been looking into doing my MCITP and Firebrand have quoted me £3000.

Is there any other companies that do this cheaper?

Thanks

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

as you've not put this enquiry within any of the Microsoft specific Forums no-one can know which MCITP you are interested in studying towards.

If you'll let us know your aims I'm sure one of the helpful CF Forum folk will be able and willing to point you in the right direction.

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. adamramsey91

adamramsey91 Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies - sorry I thought it MCITP was taken as a whole.

I'm looking at the Enterprise Desktop Support Technician if that is any help?

I have been in a Helpdesk Support role for around two years now so do you think this is the one I should be looking at?

Thanks

5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Just to add further confusion, there are two flavours of that cert.

Do you mean the Windows Vista one, or the Windows 7?

If you haven't yet obtained a Microsoft qualification then your best route would be to start at the bottom and work up.

If you only want to do that through the Microsoft ladder then I would suggest 70-680 (Windows 7 Configuring) first. This maps up to the 6292A MOC course.

More info can be found here - TS: Windows 7, Configuring

HTH

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. adamramsey91

adamramsey91 Bit Poster

Windows 7.

Will have a look at some of the training providers you suggested.

7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Nearly, but not quite, MS drop the 'DESKTOP' part of the name when it pertains to the Vista cert.

MCITP: EST in Vista
    MCITP: EDST in Win7

Confusing eh?

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  8. adamramsey91

adamramsey91 Bit Poster

MCITP: EDST in Win7

Would you recommend this for someone in my position?

9. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

In my own experience...there is always a deal to be done with training providers. If you go down that route ask for a deal & hopefully they'll surprise you.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Always worth finding out when they have courses about to start and asking about late bookings, it's better to have someone paying a slightly lesser amount for a seat than having it empty.

As far as Firebrand are concerned I have had good experiences with them, the long hours and hard work required to pass the exams shouldn't be taken lightly.

All things considered (and considering that the Firebrand course are residential) that's not actually a bad price when you factor in that the exams, food, accommodation and all training materials are all covered in that.

I paid somewhere in the region of 6k for my MCITP:EA course, I actually walked away with the SA and EDA7 exams as well but that was a 10 day course.

I would use Firebrand again in the future without a doubt, residential training courses work for me as I have a small son and trying to study at home doesn't really work (too many distractions if I am honest).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. HJE_Coops

HJE_Coops Bit Poster

I ended up completing the 70-680 under my own steam as I found open training useless, I like the concept of the residentials but the costs are very prohibitive.

I simply bought the Dan Poulton book and used professor messers videos (free) and then booked the exam, total cost for that method was £30 for the book and £100 for the exam. I passed. but it took a lot of work and study to do off my own back, its keeping motivated that's the difficult thing, hence the training courses can be better for some.

Certifications: 70-680
    WIP: 70-685