Which TCP/IP.....

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fluid, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Hi ladies and gents, i want to purchase a couple of TCP/IP books.. one for understanding the TCP/IP principle and one for using as a reference but there's soo many in the market im not sure which ones are decent, can someone recommend any?

Thanks

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

TCP Guide is highly thought of - take a look!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Yeh iv seen that one already boyce, thats a good book for learning from but its not really a reference book though is it. Recommend anything else?

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Au contraire - it is the ultimate TCP/IP reference. You will NOT find a better book for understanding the TCP/IP suite - in fact, I would argue that it's not really a book for learning - it's main purpose is to serve as a reference.

Look at the testimonials on Amazon - they speak for themselves. It is, quite simply, a country mile ahead of all other references.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Second Zeb
    thats a brilliant book, and holds a worthy spot on my desk at all times :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

is it a good book for beginner though?

7. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

wow i just read the reviews and im gob smacked!!!!! Alot of people recommend it and iv read parts of the book online so i think im going to get that but then i cam across several people mentioning:W.Richard Stevens i know he died a few years back but alot of people are still recommending his books.. i checked out one of them and it was written in 1994 or 1996 ... just thinking if the information is going to be up to date.. obviously not lol. So ermm should i get The TCP/IP Quid or Wrichard stevens?

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

TCP is a protocol
    I wouldn't say there is any real level of knowledge
    you either know it or you don't
    how much of it you know is down to exposure and experience
    this book should serve you well from start to finish if you ask me

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

thanks going to try and order it tonight, need to see how much money iv got :(

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have the Richard Stevens set as well as the TCP/IP Guide.

Yes - the Stevens is a bit old, but the fundamentals of TCP/IP haven't changed in many years. The Guide contains a lot of newer protocols not in Stevens.

IMHO the Stevens books are far more detailed in the fundamentals; I certainly wouldn't recomend them to a beginner.

Don't forget the 'standards' docs that describe the protocols - the RFCs. These are dry reading , and obscure in places, but should be in your 'reference library'.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Looks like a great book, I might order it myself.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA