Which one?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Becki, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

hey everyone, i was just wonderign which book to purchase for network+, i am investing in the A+ mike meyers book which everyone suggested.

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

You won't regret the Meyers book for A+, its brilliant :)

For the Network+ I purchased both the Meyers one, and the David Groth (Sybex). Honestly, I'd recommend the Groth book as its a little better in my opinion, hard to explain way, but I think most people will agree! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I havent started the N+ yet but the Groth book is one most recommended on.

I would like to say though do not get your self bogged down with too many subjects at once, you may get confused.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

oki thanks, ill look for the Groth (sybex) book

and im trying my best to pace out the exams, but the course im on isn't the best: 601, n+ and mcdst in 5 weeks! just gotta learn the MCDST stuff and the exams to do and i'll be sorted!:eek:

5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

HEHE, sorry nX but I think that the Meyers N+ all in one book is head and shoulders aboth the Groth book. I found Groth to be very dry and in places difficult to fully comprehend what exactly he wa putting across. Don't get me wrong, I think that the Groth book is good but I like the Meyers one better.

Becki - I have both and either would suit what ya want, although I'd go for the Meyers one if it were me - just my opinion though and I'm sure that at least one person here is going to disagree with it:rolleyes:. I am also working my way through the Exam Cram book as well now which I'm finding pretty useful after reading the other two.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  6. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

so which one? Meyres or Groth?!

7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hey, everyone to their own! :)

Funny though, I prefered the Groth one due to it being dry, and straight to the point. The Meyers book is good, and if I went back and started again, i'd still get both 8)

How is your Net+ going so far?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I think it just depends on what writing style you prefer! Groth is concidered better by most people I have come across, but you may be one of the people who prefer Meyers! Is getting both an option? 8)

9. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

not too well to say the least i have been given the Microsoft training book but my trainer is the best! so hopefully i should pass fingers crossed

10. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

not really as my dads payin for it

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

get both then :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Get both. It's best to have at least 2 major sources of information since no one book can really give you every possible bit of information from all possible perspectives. When studying, I always rely on two hardcopy sources plus appropriate online material (read: "no braindumps"). :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

14. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Fully agree with this point Trip. I've used (believe it or not) four books for my N+ so far:-

Mike Meyers N+ Passport
    Groth
    Mike Meyers N+ All in One
    Exam Cram

I also have a folder full of articles and study notes that I've downloaded from sites on the net as well. You really need as many sources of study material as you can lay your hands on in my opinion as sometimes having a point explained from a different angle helps to understand it better.

The other benefit of my getting the above four books is that each comes with a CD containing practice questions/exams and the other thing when getting ready for Comptia exams is when your close to sitting the exam is to do as many practice tests as you can lay your hand son - at least, that's my strategy :biggrin

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  15. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

wel thanks everyone now just onto the mcdst books (see thread in mcdst forum :P)

Becki x

16. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Hi Becky,

If it comes down to choosing between one book or the other, spend a few hours at your local book store and read through a little of each, then take the one that reads better for you. Or wait till you can order it online and save a little. Everyone's taste in reading will be different.

Good Luck

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed - wise advice.

More great advice.

Although I'd recommend getting two, if you could only get one, I typically recommend Groth for Network+. That said, if someone were to give you the Meyers Network+ book as a gift, it'd likely be just fine.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Couldn't agree more with this... I myself have some of the books above, plus the N+ StreetSmarts, and the N+ Fast Pass.

I also have a few links to sites like Wiki that I am using to learn that little bit more about the likes of Mac OS X and Linux.

19. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Hi Becki, I used Exam Prep 2 Network+ 2nd edition (exam N10-003, 2005 objectives) and found it quite useful, and passed the exam first time. I can't comment on the other ones mentioned as I haven't read them.

I also found just looking up Wikipedia a big help during N+ study.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA