Which jobs has the most money?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mikehende, May 11, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

I have been hearing about different jobs in the computer field that pay the most but don't know if they are true. One told me "consulting" makes the most money as some people make some $250 per hour, is this really true?

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Only if you have many years of experience. Also the problem with consulting is that it's not full time work so even if you do have that experience then it's not give that you can work "full time". There is also a lot of work behind the scenes with consulting that doesn't seem to get paid for.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. mikehende

So which field or types of jobs would anyone say pays the most in the pc industry?

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

probably depending on experience and knowlege... ,which should be applicable to any field of work...

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A director with his hand in the till.

Harry (feeling more cynical than usual)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Which job do you find most interesting? Usually if you get pleasure from the job that you do then you will make more money because you put your effort into being good at it. 8)

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Funny how money motivates us to do odd things, isn't it.
    Quite often you see posts along the lines of 'I don't know if I should do MCSE or MCSD, which one earns the most money?'

Dunno, which one can you do best?

It's a bit like turning up to your first day in work and saying to them 'I'd like to start off as the Managing Director please, he must be earning the most'.

Part of the confusion is that companies pay stupid money to people to keep things running. Just because a big corporation is forking out £300 per hour for IT support, doen't mean it's ending up in the hands of the poor nutsack who has been up all night chasing cables around.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. mikehende

I really hope you are not implying that my question will determine what field of study I do because if that was the case then I would have asked this "before" deciding on the A+ correct?

I have an inquisitive mind and just wanted to have an idea of which pc jobs pay the most just out of sheer curiosity, I was always and always will be interested in Aeronautical and Space advances ever since childhood watching Star Trek but does that mean I have "any" desire to jump in a Rocket and go to the moon or into space? NO, I am scared of heights and of flying.

9. magic

magic Banned

I hear you ! :clap

10. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

aint that the truth :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I think most people in IT do it for the love of it! It is no longer a high paying industry, I don't think it ever was, apart from the W2K hype, if I wanted to earn high money I'd be a plumber after all they do the same as us - make sure bits of copper are connected to each other!

12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Yeah but then if something breaks you don't get wet :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Depends from how high the sh^t falls.

Considering if IT people "screw it up" the effect it has on an organisation then it can come from a great height!

14. Mr.Cheeks

you guys have to seriously stop watching scat :blink

15. mikehende

Agreed! I went into pc stuff 6 years ago because of "music" but got hooked on it and finally decided to try to make a career out of it. I do think however, that nothing is wrong if anyone decides to go into a particular field just becuase that field pays a lot, if someone's ambition is to become a billionaire and he/she works their butt off to get it then I give them their due becuase they will be the ones who will be making all of the sacrifices to get what they want.

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I spoke to an IT consultant last week who told me that he doesn’t talk to anyone on the phone unless he can make money. He then went on to say that he gave up his own phone as he has no friends (the phone bill was around £2.56 a month) and everyone he talks to is on his company phone.

Each to their own I guess :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Mr.Cheeks

an IT consultatant with no friends? :blink

edit: what does "Each to their own" mean?

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

= if you want to be a sad billy no mates then no one is really bothered. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. Mr.Cheeks

nope, wanna give it another try?

20. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Each to their own = Everyone has the right to choose what they want to do. 8)