Which job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Sco0t, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Right, have a bit of a dilemma. Just graduated and had applied for a placement & a few jobs, the placement would be doing computer operations for a bank (as it's an industrial placement the money is £15000, but you get £5000 extra as you are required to work late like nighshift I think , due to the role. But also got an offer from the other job on a 1st line support for a fast growing internet technology firm which the wage is £17000-19000.

The only other thing is the placement is a contract for a year and at the end, that might be you, obviously depending if they have anything. I think the placement would be less customer service based due to the type of role can anyone shed some light on this role if anyone has had experiene, any opinions? Oh also the course I done was networking & systems support and wanted to do something focused on this.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  2. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Anyone :( ?

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I'd say you will benefit more from the placement (experience wise). The only problem is that if it will be only a year and you won't stay there you might need to go for 1st line job anyway as 1 year experience most likely won't be enough to secure a systems admin or similar position.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That depends on the companies and actual job roles, what you are comfortable living on, what you enjoy doing, whether you are comfortable with the uncertainty of contract work, etc. So we're not going to be able to make an informed decision for you.

If you don't yet have any real world IT experience, it is highly unlikely that you will start out in a role doing this, so I wouldn't wait on a position like this to open up. Those jobs are typically given to people with years of IT experience. If you're like 99% of us, you'll have to start out in an entry-level job, then work your way up the IT career ladder to desktop support, then server administration, then network administration. Although both certification and education are important, neither certification nor education will automagically open those doors for you... only experience will do that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!