Which job to apply for?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Apr 15, 2015.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hey peeps,

I currently work as a 3rd line desktop engineer for a very large organisation, my role is very specific, anything outside of my job specification goes to the specific team. Anyway, I am looking to join a smaller company where I can gain a much broader knowledge. I have found the perfect company not far from me with 2 vacancies, 1st and 2nd line.

Now I don't want to mess this up, but am not sure which one to apply for. I only meet half of the 2nd line job specifications so I am wary of applying for that. The first line role I may look a bit overqualified when applying, but I really don't mind working my way up. If I apply for the first line only I am worried this will come across as lack of confidence/ambition to the future employer.

What do you think?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Apply for second line, if you don't get it say you really like the company and are prepared to work your way up.

Jaron78 likes this.
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I would also say go 2nd line, and just be honest and make it clear that you understand you don't meet all the skillset, but you currently work at level 3 in your current company and feel that you are in a good position to pick up the other skills, then make very clear that the company is the main attraction and that you would be willing to work up or do what you need to do in order to get up to speed in the quickest possible manner.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  4. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

I'm just a bit nervous there are 12 job specs listed and I meet 5 maybe 6.

5. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Also, I am really trying to tailor my cover letter to the company. and am not sure about this paragraph. Is it condescending?

"I would love to work at <company name> as it is exactly what I am looking for, a smaller company where I feel like I am making a real difference and can gain a much broader knowledge. In my current role I rarely get to deal with in depth server/networking issues as we have specific teams."

6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

The smaller company bit I worry may be a little offensive if the people reading it decide to take it in that manner. That said I am not really sure how I would re-word it. lol. They shouldn't, but if someone reads it who has put loads of effort to get it where it is or anything then it could be taken negatively in a manner.

In terms of number of specs I wouldn't worry too much, it's very rare that you will meet them all and they know that, so just show how you meet those, how close you are to others and what you will do to meet the shortfall so to speak.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I would also state to them how good you are in your current role, and what that could bring to them.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You said you're a 3rd line engineer, going back to 1st line would raise alarms for me if I were interviewing you and saw this on your CV, listen no one has exactly all the skills that people require and it's expected that the candidate will grow in to the role.

Just put yourself forward for the 2nd line and explain you want to expand on your experience and that you current role is holding you back from that with regards to the dedicated teams.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA