which graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brizzoluk, Oct 10, 2008.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Hi all i want to upgrade my graphics card i currently have a Nvidia Geforce 7300LE, intel core 2 duo 2.2GHz, 2GB ram, foxconn 45GM mobo.
    Just something with a bit more power without breaking the bank, can anyone reccomend one?

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

sounds like your budget isn't alot so I would go for an 8600GT or GTS, I have a GT in my old system, you can pick them up for about £60 now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I use this site to compare video cards so I can get the best bang for my buck.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Are you a male deer pimp? :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Not built a PC for years, I'm an nVidia fan, first company to make proper graphics cards widely available, last few ATI cards I bought 10+ years back were rubbish, expect they are better now but it will take a lot to make me switch back.

It rather depends on your budget, also best to have a matched system as you have older processor etc.

So greenbrucelees probably right 8800 GT maybe.

If you're going to maybe upgrade the PC in general with new processor maybe one of these GTX260.

More charts here :-

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/Call-of-Duty-4-v1-6,741.html

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I make a lot of "doe" that way. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. brizzoluk

yes the 8800 GT looks good and i could stretch my budget to buy it, on the subject of processors mine is less than a year old is that classed as old now then?
    I looked on the website for my mobo and according to that the only cpu up from mine that is compatible is the intel core 2 duo extreme which is very nice but very pricey!

8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm a bit out the loop on desktop builds, only buy and use laptops these days, thought 2 GHz sounded a bit slow. Like I said probably 8800 GT. You could put in a faster graphics card if you are are a real gaming fan, then maybe upgrade CPU in years time. Of course graphics cards will be even cheaper then, depends how much you wanna play the latest games in the next year.

Its all about bang for buck and making what you've got work for a few years. Some people prefer consoles because upgrade cycle is longer. I don't play games anymore, lost about 10 years of my life to em already, plus as a programmer I barely see sunlight as it is ! :D

9. brizzoluk

Its 2.2 GHZ actually :D
    I dont use my pc for gaming but i do play a lot of video on it, home movies/live streaming etc so i think the 8800 GT will more than suffice.

10. greenbrucelee

8600 - 8800GT should do you fine, just make sure you have an adequate power supply.

11. brizzoluk

I'll also add that i'll soon want to upload/edit a lot of video from my dvd camcorder if that makes a difference.
    I have been reading a lot of reviews on the 8800 and it seems they are all from gamers which i wont be using it for, you dont think the 8800GT will be a bit of overkill for what i want it for?
    My psu is an ISO-450PP is that good enough?

12. greenbrucelee

I have just read some bad things about that PSU is your system the foxconn TP-230? The PSU hasn't got a very good amperage rating so I would get a more reliable PSU.

13. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It depends how much into video editing you want to get. Video editing requires a decent CPU, loads of memory, loads of fast disk space, graphics card with good multimedia capabilities. You can also buy custom hardware for connecting various bits of kit, HD editing, capture cards, encoding cards etc.

Aparently some HD DV software only works on Quadro cards.

Examples of Video Workstations
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/reviews/faq/frequently-asked-questions-a91.html
    http://www.poweroid-video-editing.co.uk/Novice/Workstations/basic_video_editing_PC.asp
    http://www.dvdoctor.net/

Basically to do it regularly with good speed editing and high quality video you are looking at workstation grade kit. For the odd home video in mpeg2 a home PC should be more than adequate.
    I've never done any video editing, best to look on the video editing forums...

14. brizzoluk

15. greenbrucelee

Those should do nicely, also think about future upgrades. If you intend to buy a better graphics card in the future or upgrade the cpu you may need more power which would mean getting a higher rated PSU.

16. brizzoluk

ok thanks they looked ok to my untrained untechnical eye just needed to hear it from somebody whos knows what they are looking at :)

17. brizzoluk

Just looking at that graphics card again and noticed that it has 2 DVI ports but no VGA port to plug my monitor into??
    will it come with an adapter so i can connect my monitor?

18. greenbrucelee

yep it should come with a DVI adapter.

19. brizzoluk

Ah ok thanks for that.