Which exam should i take:

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by snagarjunas, Jun 2, 2009.

1. snagarjunas

snagarjunas New Member

Hi All with great :),

This is my first post to this forum and hope will be helpful to me.

I have done my B-Tech(04-2008 and presently doing software development job on .Net and i have total experience of 6mnths from Dec-08. My job on .Net is totally based on Windows Communication Foundation(WCF) using framework 3.5.

Now the thing is i need to take one MS certification exam. Can anyone give advice about:

1) Which is the best suited exam for me and is it valuable in market?
    2) How to prepare for the exam, how to obtain material and all the stuff needed for getting good in exam?
    3) How many days of preparation needed to exam which you are going to suggest me?

Waiting for your valuable reply.

Thanks,
    Nagarjun S.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

BTW, you don't need to post the same thread twice :)

1. See here under "Developer tools and applications", then choose either the 2005 or 2008 track that you work with.

2. You can either self-study or do a course, then sit the exam at any Prometric testing centre.

3. This depends on your skill level & study methods.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. snagarjunas

snagarjunas New Member

Hi,

I am interested to take MCTS Windows Communication Foundation using 2008 (Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5). For this i am interested to take training on my own as there are no training institutes in our city. For this can you please tell which standard book i need to follow to do good and where can i buy this.

Thanks,
    Nagarjun S.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Have you tried searching for WCF on amazon ?

How did you learn it if not from a book ?

5. snagarjunas

snagarjunas New Member

Hi,

I have a book written by Wrox and it's not based on MS exam. So, i need a book which it's based totally on MS exam.

Ya i have searched books on Amazon but i am not aware of it which is the best book. Can you suggest it which is the best book.

Thanks,
    Nagarjun S.

6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I always buy MS press training kits for MS exams if they exist. There is a MS training kit for the WCF exam. Microsofts training website also lists training materials for all their exams.

http://www.amazon.com/MCTS-Self-Paced-Training-70-503-PRO-Certification/dp/0735625654

I found all the references to out of date webcasts in the book annoying, would have been nice for them to record them and put them on the DVD...

Be advised you will struggle in the exam if you do not read around the subject on MSDN and blogs.

This exam will not get you the MCTS credential on its own, you will also need 70-536.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-503.mspx

7. snagarjunas

snagarjunas New Member

Hi,

1) Which exam shd i take first either 70-503 or 70-536. And when i have gone through the sites they mentioned should have at least of 2 years of exp. I have only 6mnths of exp.

2) Does the book which u have shown consists all the stuff and DVD classes.

Thanks,
    Nagarjun S.

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can take them in any order, there is very little overlap or dependency between the two. Most people take 70-536 first, because thats the 'foundation' exam. It could take you a fair while to pass these two legitamately with just 6 months experience, the 70-536 covers concepts which people generally pick up over several years, probably at least 5-6 in my case.

Well really I'd say concentrate on your programming and forget about certs. None of the MS certs test programming ability, they test memorisation, tool and API knowledge.

If you have a secure job which you enjoy I wouldn't worry too much about them.

The DVD contains a pdf of the book, sample test/simulator, example code, thats pretty much it.

Don't expect any audio or video because there is none, the book mentions webcasts given by MS staff online which occured in the past. Something a bit dodgy to do in a published work IMHO. You can not view these webcasts as the book suggests without a time machine... Now I just have to go build mine....8)