Which exam first

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Rob1234, May 22, 2008.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Does it matter which exam I do first 271 or 272?

Also I ordered the Microsoft books and the Sybex book the sybex book is tiny compared to the Microsoft ones, do Microsoft waffle alot or do Sybex miss out a lot?

Thanks.

Certifications: A few.
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I would say Sybex misses out the intricate details, not that the MS Press book waffles.
    That said, I used those 2 and the Exam Cram (less useful of all 3 to be honest but worth £10 or so) and I passed both on the first attempt.

As for order - 271 is more OS orientated, 272 is Office orientated. There is probably a 10-20% overlap, personally I did the 271 first and would probably do it first again if needed.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I was going to get the cram book but went for the Sybex instead I will also buy some transcender test exams as well. I also have VMWare at work so I will be using that. Hopefully that will be enough stuff I support users who use XP so I have some experience doing it.

Certifications: A few.
  4. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Yeah I noticed the Cybex books were about 200-300 pages less than the MS equivalent. Which I think is just fantastic, although it has me worried as well. I'll be taking my chances with Sybex, I can't stand to read MS Press books, it's like they were written by robots.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

They are a little dry!

I found reading Sybex first, then Exam Cram on the way home on the tube, with a final flick through of MS book was the way to go.

Sybex gave the basis of the syllabus and some detail, Exam Cram expanded on that (but not so much on 272) and then MS Press filled in all the extra details that I felt went in further detail than any other book - ie, a good bet they way come up in the exam.

6. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

That actually sounds like a good Idea, especially since I've already purchased all 4 MS PRESS MCSE core exam books. (Purchased them before I had any idea of what order to actually pursue certs in)

Maybe by the time I get to the 290 I'll actually be able to read the MS press books. Build myself up to the dryness lol.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I learnt "the hard way" on that one. With the 271, I started with the MS Press book and wished I hadn't! Changed the approach for the 272 and I felt a lot more confident about knowing the basics of the material before filling it out with details (which I find is what the MS Press books do).