Which Elective Exam do I choose?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by MuddyFox, Jun 7, 2005.

1. MuddyFox

MuddyFox Bit Poster

How to Earn Your MCAD... (From: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcad/requirements.asp)

Core Exams (2 Exams Required)
    To fulfill the core certification requirements, pass one exam focused on either Web Application Development or

Windows Application Development in the language of your choice. (My choice is C#) Then pass one XML Web Services and Server Components exam.

Elective Exams (1 Exams Required)
    In addition to the core exam requirements, you must also pass one elective exam that provides proof of expertise with a specific Microsoft server product.

Core Exams: Web or Windows Application Development (1 Exam Required)

My Slection:
    Exam 70–315*: Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Microsoft Visual C#™ .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

Core Exams: XML Web Services and Server Components Development (1 Exam Required)

My Slection:
    Exam 70–320*: Developing XML Web Services and Server Components with Microsoft Visual C# and the Microsoft .NET Framework

Elective Exams (1 Exam Required)

Exam 70–340: Implementing Security for Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET

Exam 70–229: Designing and Implementing Databases with Microsoft SQL Server™ 2000 Enterprise Edition

Exam 70–234: Designing and Implementing Solutions with Microsoft Commerce Server 2000

I am looking for advice on which of the 3 elective exams listed above is most useful / desired in real world situations.

Thanks for ya time :)

Certifications: Certified Web Developer
    WIP: MCAD, MCSD
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I went for VB and did 305 and 306.
    I went for 229 as the elective as the first two core exams go into ADO.NET quite a lot, so SQL seemed the obvious choice. Security's quite helpful though.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. MuddyFox

MuddyFox Bit Poster

Yeah! Security is helpful and well paid!

I am already a seasoned ASP classic developer, and use SQL Server 2000 quite extensively. (Although, my experience was gained by doing... A structured course may be quite good for me...)

What exactly does 229 cover?

Certifications: Certified Web Developer
    WIP: MCAD, MCSD
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ouch.
    I'm only about half way through it.
    Basically SQL database design and implementation. Have a look see on the Microsoft site for the full spec.
    I'm quite enjoying it - never used SQL before.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD