Which Distro?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Phoenix, Jul 13, 2004.

?

Which Linux/BSD distro do yo use/plan on using?

1. Red Hat Fedora

44.0%
  2. Suse Linux

44.0%
  3. Slackware

4.0%
  4. Gentoo

4.0%
  5. Debian

12.0%
  6. FreeBSD

16.0%
  7. OpenBSD

4.0%
  8. NetBSD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other Distro (please list in reply with some reasons)

8.0%
  10. None (please list in reply with some reasons)

8.0%
  1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Which Linux/BSD Distro do you use/plan to use in the near future?
    I would like to know so I can more accuratly poise my TOTD feature to the needs of our readers

This is not a distro bashing/war so please dont jump on the bandwagon and start telling everyone why x distro sucks and x distro is great :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I used knoppix.Just happened that I got hold of it through a certain situation.
    Wasn't even interested in Linux at the time.Now I'm curious about Linux, I've been having more of a look at knoppix.

I recently asked a question on a linux forum.
    It was something like:

"I'm interested in learning more about linix.I have the knoppix CD, but would like to know if this is a good distro to use when starting out.If not why, or which distro would you recommend for learning linux generally, as a beginner"

Anyway nobody has answered yet, so perhaps anyone here has any thoughts.

PS: Which option does knoppix come under?Just checking.

3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I use Redhat on my desktop and Mandrake on my laptop (Both with Windows dual boot systems). I still find it hard using Linux coming from a Windows background but I'm eager to learn as I think Linux will eventually break into the mainstream once it's made easier to do things like install drivers which I find tricky.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Gah I forgot to list mandrake as an option, was limited to 10 hehe, mandrake being one of the popular ones thats a bit of an oversight, should of dropped NetBSD sorry

if you use mandrake just click on other and leave a msg :)

Flex, firstly i would keep hammering at linux and eventually move to Fedora as beginner (red hat being the most widely used distro around, that or suse (a tad easier ive heard)
    but not until your comfortable with it or have a spare machine to try it on, you dont seem like you could just format your machine and try it due to the number of machines you have being rather limited, and even im not comfortable trying a dual boot unless i have adequate backups :)

oh and Flex, knoppix is based on Debian i believe

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Debian I'll choose then.[​IMG]

I'm using that linux tutorial site Trip posted to have a bit of a mess around now and then.The tutorials are posted non-specific distro (or pointed out when it is specific) so it's good to use to explore linux, whichever distro your using.

Like slypie says, I'd also like to learn linux before it become's more mainstream.
    Currently playing catchup with MS products all the time, I'm eager to get on a par with a technology.

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i use suse on my laptop. again, i heard it was easier to master for newbies than some of the other distros.

flex, if you wanna try out different distros to see what you like, keep an eye on the linux magazines. i know theres one which produces a CD distro virtually every month. these are great, you can boot to the cd, run the distro, and get a feel for it, all without installing onto the HDD, i think the distros are fairly limited (but what do u expect from a CD running OS), but it means you can try heaps of distros out all without installing onto systems.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

RedHat V8

Mandrake

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

SuSE for me at home and at work. Knoppix as rescue systems at both places.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

nug mate, do you use Suse as a primary OS at either location?
    im about to make the plunge myself by converting my laptop to a full blown Gentoo install (it will take a few days to install LOL)

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We use Red Hat at work to run the mail server. Plan is that once I've got this blasted server 2003 upgrade out of the way I'll start on Linux certs as well, so I'm with Flex on this one regarding with is the best flavour for a beginner, and how can i mix them into my home windows xp network

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

mixing them is rather straight forward these days, i take it you mean sharing files and internet connection? not domain login and such?

Samba client and server enable linux boxes to share files on a windows network and connect to windows shares on other machines, NFS is used between linux machines

integrating on the network will be as straight forward as anything else

unless you mean a dual boot situation, which i have never attempted so cant comment, but have been warned against trying this with Fedora Core 2 as it cuts off XP access :) (bug)

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Phoenix, I started a new job this year and the company had 2 SuSE 7.3 servers. I went home after the interview and bought SuSE 9.0 Pro to learn and practice with, the rest of the workstations are Win2K.

At the moment I'm a bit disillusioned with Linux and haven't used it for a while, but I plan to get it up and running very soon.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

heh, it does take a bit of work at the moment, but its make tremendous progress in the last 2 years, hell 2 years ago it would hardly install on most modern platforms (usually down to poor chipset support)

its come ALONG way, and it seems to be progressing just as fast now, i think its a case of bearing the growing pains with it so we are in the position we need to be in, in say, another 2 or so years as it increases its market share

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I know lots of folks in these parts that use Slackware. Slack 10.0 was just released and the reviews are good. I've also got copies of SuSe 9.1 Pro and Red Hat at home when I get the time to play with them. For really, really inexpensive Linux software, try http://www.osheaven.net.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

for really really FREE linux software (those of you with broadband) check out
    Linux ISO

16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nice link Phoenix, I can see me downloading a few ISO's from there today :biggrin Well thats what the fast Internet at work is for isnt it? :rolleyes:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I have distros of both Red Hat and Suse, neither of which I have ever gathered the bottle to install. The only version I have played with so far is Knoppix, and even then, I only had partial success.

Still, I haven't abandoned the idea of trying to get to grips with it (them), as the value is clearly not to be under-estimated. If I could just find a way to get my wife and daughter to spend a weekend "off-site", I reckon I'd take the plunge.

Crikey, even the engineer who services our central heating at home is a Linux guru. Which is a shame, cos our boiler still runs on Windows 2000 Server :blink

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sorry Phoenix...some of us are still struggling along with dial-up. :blink

19. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Well, I've voted Fedora since I plan on taking a masterclass at some time in the near future :D

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

What's a "masterclass"?. I've seen the reference twice now. :blink