Which CV format is better?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by L1ONE, Jan 3, 2011.

1. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

I'm refining my CV and have 2 variants; a one page version and a 2 page version.

Any tips or ideas as to what you think would be better.

Also anything in general which you think I could improve on? Had no luck in getting any interviews for the past 3/4 months, really annoying me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCP
    WIP: N+ maybe.
  2. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

CV (full) is better because it has a detailed outline of what you have done.

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I prefer the 2 page CV :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

I think 2 pages is generally the accepted norm.

I think it would be worth spacing it out a little more to make it two full pages personally.

Perhaps another section saying how much of a "team player" you are and how you are "eager to learn", "wish to expand my knowledge and experience", would be a "loyal employee"

In the job I applied for (that i got, may I add) I did a powerpoint presentation saying basicly how awesome I am, it was an internal vacancy and my company is a bit odd, they have a lot of 'phillosiphy' in the company. For example, consistant improvment is important through the process of "Plan, Do, Check, Action" (Plan it, Do it, Review it, Improve it) and complacency must be avioded. Another one is to achieve improvement through the following criteria; Quality, Cost, Delievery, Management, Safety & Enviroment (Delivery means speed by the way or time keeping).

One more they say is that when you are given a job, the job in it's current state is the worst it can possibly be, untill you make the work more efficent.

Like I said the company I work for is a little regimental and odd and the CV I did would only make sence internally but the ideas there. Its not just about what you know/experience, but how you problem solve in a logicical methodical manner etc.

Sorry if i rambled there a bit, just a few ideas you may try to adapt to improve you're own CV.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Never intentionally try and condense your CV onto 1 page. If you have enough details to fill 2 pages then fill 2 pages but don't just fill those pages with waffle or pointless information.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Not for a certain building society was it? (only say because of your location) :)

The Plan, Do , Check, Act thing is a popular process known as the Deming Cycle :)

7. coffeechaser311

coffeechaser311 New Member

Hi there!

There are still different ways or styles to present a resume. The chronological order of the categories may be arranged depending on your strongest and weakest points. For instance, if you have an impressive employment history, you may choose to put it on the top of the list. This not only shows the progression of your career but your qualifications as well.

On the other hand, if you do not have a very impressive employment history, you may focus on your stronger points such as your Key Skills or Achievements. Thus, even if you do not have an employment background, you can immediately showcase your potential as an employee.

Here's my tip for a more impressive resume;

Be specific when defining your objective. Some applicants use the phrase “seeking for any available position”. Don’t expect your employer to think for a suitable position for you.

Include only the details that are relevant to the position you are applying for. When enumerating your skills, focus on the skills that make you a qualified candidate for the job.

Proofread your resume before submission. Make sure that it is free from any typo or grammatical error. Do not use a photocopy to save money. Even if you must submit resumes to various companies, always use the original print.

8. adapt63

adapt63 Bit Poster

hi

i generally get quite few calls re work.

i would say expand the roles you have - anything which may help. orgainsational skills etc etc. for me i have a fairly strong personal profile which sit right at the top of my CV. think of yourself as a salesman and your are the product. Why would you employ you? its a buyers market out there and i think you have to push yourself forward a bit. remember a recruiter may get 50 cv's in for a role . go for phrases like " good communication skills are a key asset" "confident" "" team player " "think outside the box" all cliches but who cares if you get the job!!!

hope this helps

Certifications: A + MCDST MCSA CCNA MCP
    WIP: Exchange mcp