which course should i do

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by paulbrogden, Dec 2, 2010.

1. paulbrogden

paulbrogden New Member

hello guys my name is Paul and I am trying to decide what to do in regards to training I am thinking of doing a course in computing and trying to decide what to do given tuition fees are going sky high from know to the future I am unsure how to retrain so I can get a decent pay packet and train up. To give a back ground I currently have a btec national diploma in photography an hnd in communications which included graphic design video production and photography and art.

I failed to complete a degree in TV production due to finding it difficult getting my head around cultural studies. So what I did get was credits for 10 modules which worked out at 10 credits per module which worked out at 100 credits I needed 120 credits to pass but I did gain some credits I do believe all my qualifications is easily equal to a degree which out having the degree title. I am considering doing some sort of top up degree to top up my hnd into a degree some how doing a 1 year top up course I guess having a degree no matter what it is in a degree means some thing.

At present I am located in the UK near Leeds. Any way I have been looking at computer courses like some sort of top up degree however it has suggested its not worth doing that it has been suggested doing a certified Microsoft course is a better route I want to get some sort of IT technician job doing technical support for servers I work for asda online shopping sorting out the orders I am thinking of doing some sort of IT job so I could work in the IT department but feel to be able to do such a job.

I will need to do some sort of training. I am also been looking at the online degrees you can do does any one know any thing about these are they worth doing or is it better to go to a college in person and get your hands on the gear in person better.

I need some advice from some IT professionals out their. The problem is I work from 2pm to 9:30pm so only get Monday free so my hours make it difficult for me to do a course.

Is their any professionals out their who could advise me any comments and advise would be appreciated please post reply’s if you have the time.

Regards Paul.

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Have you looked at the Open University?
    If you already have higher learning credits, you may be able transfer them so your work to date won't be wasted. It also gives you the flexibility to go beyond IT - so you could do some more TV/Photography stuff if you wanted to.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd also look at the OU as Jonny has mentioned, get your prior learning approved, find out how many more points you need for a degree. Take a 30 point course, normal requires 8 hours a week, with one day a week off should have more than enough time.

Certs are good but don't normally count as much as a degree in general, a degree will pay dividends over the years. Since you started it no point not finishing it.

Can always do certs later when you have the experience to back them up.