Which console to get?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Arroryn, May 30, 2011.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Because life is mostly bewildering, I have decided to become a geeky recluse again. To this end, I need to upgrade my games console, as apparently they're not producing new Mega Drive games any more.

The obvious tussle is between PS3 and Xbox 360 (I had a Wii and couldn't get on with it really).

Which would you recommend I go for, and why? Assume cost isn't an issue here. I am aware of the, ahem, epic failure of the PS3 network, but I'm looking more from the technical perspective.

I'll be playing it on a full HD screen, but it'll be in my bedroom so unless I dance around on the bed, I won't have space to take advantage of anything like the Kinect product. But that won't be forever, so I'm interested in hearing opinions.

Gaming-wise, I'll be going for things like Portal 2, Assassins Creed, Brink, and will probably become addicted to Geometry Wars as it's impossible to play on my iPhone. Any game recommendations are also welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I love the PS3.
    It's got some of the best-looking games in the market.
    Blu-ray player is a nice little extra.
    The PSN (when it works) is great, and free.
    OK, you don't get kinect, but the PS move has got similar titles for those of you who choose to jump up and down as part of the gaming experience.

Wouldn't swap it for anything else.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I have both a PS3 and an Xbox 360... To be honest, I use my xbox for all gaming, I prefer it more. The PS3 for me is a media server, streaming movies/blue ray/netflix, etc... It's a power machine but for gaming I am just used to the Xbox 360.

Both the consoles are great, can't really say one is better than the other, I think it's more down to preference than anything.

Yes it's sad what happen to the PSN, but aside from that it's still a good console and it is free like JohnnyMX mentioned. For Xbox to play online, you have to pay an annual subscription, but I find it's worth it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would go for the PS3 as this is what I own and also have the PS2 for older games. I would recommend Dead Space 1, currently on the last level and haven't had time to get back into the game to finish it. After that I would unwrap my Bioshock 1 and have a bash:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

In terms of games -
    I've spent several hundred hours on Oblivion...
    Played Mass Effect 2 through twice back to back.
    Looking forward to Heavy Rain (now it's platinum) and Portal 2.

Playstation Move is a great bit of kit, but sadly lacking many good titles to go with it - at least for adults.
    Killzone 3 worked well with it, but so far the best game is tumble, which you can download from the PSN.
    There is a full body capture game for it, Kung Fu, but unless you live in a room the size of an aircraft hanger, you are likely to have your legs cropped off.

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ooooh - PS3, PS3, PS3! That way we can do the co-op on Portal 2 (officially the very bestest game ever invented at all)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I've got both and you can't go far wrong with either mate really. I wonder can someone clarify for me what the Steam account does? Could I play someone on any console/pc thought steam?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ooh yes. My mum just bought me a copy! :oops:

Really excited to have a go!!!
    Hopefully should arrive in the next couple of days.

9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Completed it on PS3 today funny enough, very clever game, witty too, you'll see what I mean :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Brilliant game. Could be longer, but that would detract from the quality. Am itching to give the co-op a decent go - my nephew has only just bought it and will take him a while to complete it, no-one else I know has it or cares about it (muppets)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I'd go for xbox personally - but i've had an xbox since the first one ever came out, and i don't know any different :D

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  12. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I have both and a wii but personally I prefer my PS3 as I like the fact online is free and refuse to pay to play online as I don't play online often. I prefer the joypad though xbox's is really good as well (most say better than the PS3's). I like the fact it has a blueray player and PS3 Move is ok but nowt spectacular but then again neither is Kinnect which I have as well (this is due to lack of good games rather than the technology itself).

I think both consoles have some great exclusives but I think the PS3 edges it with the likes of Gods of War, Demon Souls and the Nathan Drake Games as I don't really like Halo all that much which is the biggest exclusive along with Gears of War which is great. In a sense I think picking a console should be based on the games that you prefer.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  13. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Xbox. Far prefer the GUI, the controllers, the Americanism.

...Plus I'm a Microsoft whore.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

PS3 is da bestest :p

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I second and third this comment as its da truth:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for recommending this game zeb as I know you have mentioned it on the forums in the past. I have now dusted the dust of my steam account and ordered Portal 1 currently downloading it.

Well its being sold for £6.99 via steam and pending how I like the first Portal would be ordering Portal 2 for the PS3 in the near future.

17. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Okay I'm going to get an Xbox first. Then a PS3. When I have more space.

Next question : is there *any* point in getting the 4GB version. I'm guessing no.....

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Given the choice, i'd rather give my money to an OBL memorial fund than to Sony
    so it's the Xbox for me, and Xbox live is worth every penny, you get what you pay for after all, ask all those PSN members who lost their details ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Try to get the bigger HD... There will be times when you want to copy the game to the disk and 4GB is not enough room. You can however get a 16GB high speed USB key and use that as an added storage which I've seen done before.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  20. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Good call! And no, go for the 250GB. I always tend to copy my games to the local hard-drive for reduced load times etc, and each game can easily be over 5GB per disk. Plus if you ever use Zune etc to download/play movies then space is an important commodity and the 4GB version just doesn't cut it.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA