Which Cisco CCNA Library. Odom or McQuerry?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Brizzad, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Brizzad

Brizzad New Member

Ok, I have done quite a bit of research but I there is something I cant seem to get figured out.

Cisco press Puts out two Libraries to prepare for the CCNA.

1)CCNA Self-Study: CCNA Preparation Library (640-801), 6th Edition by Steve McQuerry
    Link

2)CCNA Certification Library (CCNA Self-Study, Exam #640-801) by Wendell Odom
    Link

I am having a difficult time deciding which one would be best forme. From what I have read, there seems to be very little difference

I went through the Cisco Networking Academy back in 2000 but have retained very little of it since I never tested and never worked on Cisco equipment since. I do work in the IT field as a System Analyst/PC tech/Help desk. I have been doing this for about 7 years so I have a good basic understanding of networking.

Can any of you tell me which one would be better suited for me? If there a difference? Has anyone read either sets?

Does anyone have any other suggestions, anything?

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that the second one that you link to may be the better option, but I'm basing that answer on the publication date.

If you say that you did the Net Acad a few years back you could opt to read through the old materials for that. Ok so they may be a few years out of date, but a lot of the fundamentals will still be the same, and you could buy a new study guide when you feel that you are more comfortable with the material.

8)

3. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

2 optins when taking CCNA:

1. Take the single exam 640-801
    2. Take 2 exams 640-821 Intro and 640-811 ICND

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html refers

The Odom book is for option 1
    The McGarry (2 volumes) covers option 2.

Consensus is if you have previous Networking knowledge go for the all in 1 801. If it is totally new then go for the 2 stage intro and icnd version.

As well as the books hands on is a must, ideally using real kit or if not possible then using a SIM such as this http://www.routersim.com/CCNA5_Screenshots.html or from Boson http://www.boson.com/Product/CIS-NS-CCNA-04.html

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  4. Brizzad

Brizzad New Member

See, I guess I fall somehwre in between those two.

Is it safe to say if i were to get the McQuerry set, I could still be prepaired to take the single exam as well?

In other words, the difference is that the McQuerry set in more in depth rather than just a review of exam points?

Like I said, i havent touched a router in 5 years,

Thanks fellas, you guys are great.