Which Certificate shall I take

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by abdul, May 3, 2009.

1. abdul

abdul New Member

Hi guys, I just graduated from Uni with Computer science Degree, I am interesting In IT networking jobs BUT dont know which certificate to start with,

any suggesting will be helpful.

Certifications: computer Science/Networking BSc (Hons)
    WIP: No Sure
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

The main 3 entry level professional certifications are the Comptia A+, Network+ & the MCDST. Even with a degree, you're not going to be given the keys to the network straight away.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. abdul

abdul New Member

Thanks

I was wondering if I study the Network+ and leave the A+, as I think A+ is bit easier for someone with Computer Science Degree, I mean I know a lot of computer hardware and software.

So Which Cert will I go for, for entry jobs?

thanks again,,

4. EWIS Mohan

EWIS Mohan New Member

Dear friend Abdul,

Since you have done your degree,
    Just start with Mocrosoft certification exams and after that you can do the Cisco exams,
    Up to my knowledge as other friends stated A+ or other certifications are not worth.

First start with MCP.......
    Any help on this contact me.....

Regards,
    Mohan..

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Provided it's not like this help...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on passing your degree, do you have in mind what line of IT you want to go down? Im sure you gained some free professional career advice from the university about possible careers in IT support, programming or some career which uses computers in some way.

From your uni advice you will then have an idea regarding where you want to go, if it is support/networking/(and maybe eventually) IT management for companies then the comptia and MCDST exams would help you secure entry level work and set you off on the IT career ladder.

If its programming based then maybe look at what languages you want to use (and more importantly what you will use in work environment) and do those vendor specific exams.

As we dont know your true skill level then starting at the bottom of the exam ladder is the best advice we can give, but also for a career point of view, the fact that this shows that you are willing to progress through exams and show dedication to your craft will help you when it comes to interviews.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. abdul

abdul New Member

I am think of IT Support , technician kind of jobs, as I mainly studied Networking at Uni, BUT not sure which cert to start with, because it bit hard to get these jobs with just Degree.

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Judging from your resoponses above, I'd advise you start wit the Comptia Network+ and then look for a 1st line IT network support role.

Also after you have landed an IT network junior role then start with the Cisco CCNA as with some experience and coupled with your degree you'd be good to go:) Best wishes and keep husling.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

You need on the job experience fo the CCNA and not having any experience and having the CCNA cert can go against you when looking for a job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA