Where's 'Calvin and Hobbes' creator?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Oct 24, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ashamed to say that I have never heard of him Trip :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Maybe the strip wasn't internationally famous. It was a terrific hit in the US to its ten year run. If you can get a hold of any of the collected works, I highly recommend them. You really have to experience the strip to understand it.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I will keep an eye out Trip! It's rather annoying to think that you can miss out on something really good just because you live in another place. Australia is definitely missing out on lots of the excellent programs people in the UK take for granted.

The Office for example is a superb English series, I would not have even known of it's existence if it weren't for a heads up from friends, I managed to find a CD of the series thankfully. Speaking of *Friends*, you can't seem to get away from that no matter how far you go, it follows relentlessly :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'd have to agree that C&H is one of the best comics of all time. I read it everyday in the local paper and when I can't then it's on the net.

Pete, you can find it here.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Bit Poster

C&H are semi famous is the UK. There was a quiz on BBC radio 1 a few weeks back with C&H as the subject for one of the questions. Both the contestant and dj had never heard of it. They then recieved hundreds of texts - half from fans and half from those that hadn't a clue what it was. I have all the books - i love em, but I'm not sure if it was in any UK newspapers which may explain its average popularity.

Best. Strip. Ever.

Certifications: Lunatic
    WIP: A+
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I thought they were a type of underpants.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Which of course explains your av and your forum handle. :D

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Calvin and Hobbes is pretty good, but the best two, at least in my book are Dilbert and The Far Side. For my money these two are the best by far. Larson hasn't written a cartoon for 10 years and they are still very popular, and Dilbert, well, I know of nothing else that illustrates what goes on corporate culture any better than Dilbert.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

c&h were pretty famous in my area around ten years ago, and i think it's at least in the top ten of comic strips ever.

loved it!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Count me in on both the the C&H and Far Side camps. Both classic types of humour, with Larson always capable of that unbelievably dark twist at any time.

Brilliant, both :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity