where to take exams... :blink

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by AcidHell2, Aug 8, 2005.

1. AcidHell2

AcidHell2 New Member

Ok I want to start studying for the MCDST exams, I have found all the info I need as well as revision material. Just one problem though, where the hell do you sign up and take the exams. It seems to be a secret. Unless you want to pay thousands for training as well. So any idea where the nearest exam place is to Bristol and a Tel. number or web-address is.

Thanks
    Acid

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Take a look here :http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread5904.html

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The easiest way to register for an exam is to go to http://www.2test.com This is Prometric's (the people who provide the tests) online place to register.
    You will have to sign up with them and register for which exam you want to take. During the registration process a list of exam testing centres will be shown to you, all you need do is check the one nearest you.

8)

4. AcidHell2

AcidHell2 New Member

Yay thanks..

Suppose I should if used the search button, I should now beeter

Hangs head in shame....

So how hard are the tests....

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The tests are as hard as you want them to be.

If you have lots of experience with the product and are well prepared, i.e. have read the exam objectives and studied then you should find them fairly easy.

If not you may find them harder than you were expecting.

My advise to you: Make sure you know your stuff before attempting the exams. It is a horrible feeling when you pay for the exams and fail, I know I've been there before.

If you can afford it get the Transcender exam test prep questions, or simillar. If not make sure you can answer the questions in your study guides. Nothing prepares you for an exam like testing yourself before hand.

8)

6. AcidHell2

AcidHell2 New Member

Well I think Im knowledgable have to wait and see how hard the study guide is, when it arrives.....

gone for the

MCDST Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System Training Kit

See what its like and go from there...

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i agree with you there totally make sure you know the stuff... and for the questions there is also Exam Cram2 questions and answers not sure if they have a MCDST book but i heard they making one soon or maybe its out... just stay away from Testkings and ActualTest stuff...

PS as a word of advice dont ask if they okay on the forum cause you will get eaten up very quickly!!! HEHEHE :biggrin

the book is very good umm i hope you got the 2nd edition that is out....look at sybex one too...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey AcidTest2 - can I invite you up to the New Members board to drop an intro - easier to help when we know "the person" :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Loopy

Loopy Bit Poster

Acid, I've taken exams at Parity in Bristol which is in Bradley Stoke. If you go onto the Thompson Prometric website which i think is
    http://www.register.prometric.com
    you can register to take them there. They were £88 last time I took them. Good luck

Certifications: MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA Windows Server 2003
  10. AcidHell2

AcidHell2 New Member

hey sure waddles off to post..

Thanks loopy :)....

11. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

How often do they do the exams at the test centres. For example, if I wanted to sit the exam in a months time, would I need to book it now?

Ta!

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think if you visit the prometric or VUE sites, you'll be able to see how far in advance you can schedule a test. Barring that, I suppose you could just phone them and ask.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Ok, took the trouble of actually registering :)

Yes, next availabe date is about a month away for my local test centre. Thanks for the advice.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've always managed to get in given 24-48 hrs notice.
    All hell seems to have broken lose at the moment though because of holidays and the Microsoft second-shot promotion finishing. Everyone is trying to get in before the end of the month.
    I use Pearson, www.pearsonvue.com. Pearson and Thompson seem to have testing centres in different places, so I suggest trying both to find the closest place.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD