Where to Study for MCSE?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Gavin cass, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

Hi
    Im looking to do the MCSE course, classroom based if possible.
    I have looked on the microsoft website for training, but cant seem to find any training in my area.
    There seems to be a potential minefield out their as regards to choosing the right center for training, partnerships ect, where do i even start? :rolleyes:

Thanks
    Gavin

Certifications: NVQ computers & Electronics; 70-270
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you considered self study?

My experience of classroom training consisted of sitting in a chair listening to an instructor read from the Microsoft MOC (Jakanory Style). He was under strict instruction to stick to the text because of the time constraints of finishing the course in the alloted number of days.

The MOC (Microsoft Official Curriculum) does not cover the necessary topics in anywhere near enough detail to pass the related MCP exams. This is pointed out near the beginning of every MOC book.

So, you are expected to go away from the class and self study your heart out using Technet, Microsoft White Papers (these are huge) and RFC docs. You will also need at least one decent book that does cover the topics in more detail, preferably two or more. Then you will benefit from test prep software like Measureup, Transcender or Self Test - steer well clear of braindump material as they are not your friend.

In essence what I am trying to say, is that you will pay through the nose to listen to somebody read from a book. If you can read, you will save yourself a fortune by going down the self study route and considering that you will be self studying for the rest of your IT life, you might as well get stuck in now.

Also, many training providers are getting a bad rep, mainly because their students are dropping out once they realise how much time and effort is needed to gain MCSE. It took me three years and that was with a training provider.

Oh and did I mention my Training provider went out of business with my $11.500 bucks half way through my course!

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep - 100% agree with BR

All the money you would spend on the training, spend it on a load of equipment, a fast internet connection, lots of books and your power bills instead!

There is no substitute for learning at your own pace, with real equipment, coming up against real world scenarios. I fail to see how anyone could pass network infrastructure without having either 18 months of hands-on experience in the real worls, or at least 6 months solid study in a home lab environment.

Also, you needn't even buy a lot of machines. just get one powerful one, with a couple of NICs in it, and go down the virtualisation route with VMWare - you'll get an identical lab for a fraction of the price, and you'll also teach yourself something that will be EXTREMELY valuable for your career (trust me, virtualisation will be immense in the next five years as more and more companies get on the consolidation bandwagon)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

Thank you both for your help, i have decided to go with the self study route after giving it much consideration.
    Although i will find it difficult to sit down with large text books night after night i am going to achieve the MCSE whatever it takes! :)

Do you have any good tips for self studying?

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

self-study? yeah i got a link and if you want proof of my success look at my certs i got.. all self-study and i knew nothing this time last year... now im 1 exam away from MCSA and im a MCDST... self-study is a good option dont worry...
    Click here to read my article on self-study

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

^^ Zimbo is Tux the master of Microsoft self study 8)

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Gavin,

Welcome to CF. I agree 100% with what has already been said. Even in a classroom, you will be expected to take some of the work home with you so you might as well do all the work at home and save a fortune. :)

Good luck.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Check your local tech's/College/Uni's as more and more are becoming Microsoft Academies. Self-study is a great option but it isn't for everyone. The question you have to ask yourself is how do you want to study? In a group, classroom based, alone, virtual environment, etc....

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Agree with everyone here, and not only that, the equipment for hands on practice is not expensive either, you already have a computer just get the MS Press book and that comes with OS evaluation versions for like 180 days which more then enough.

Anyways good luck with the studies.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

Zimbo, some excellent pointers on studying there!

With regards to virtualising servers and networks, what is the best way to go about this, as this concept is all new to me.

I have limited space in my flat and can just make room for another machine if need be, at the moment i have a redundant
    p3 800mhz sitting in the corner, maybe i could do something with this? :rolleyes:

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If you install a product like VMWare or Microsoft's Virtual PC on a host machine (jargon for the physical computer), you can then install various OSs (operating systems) like Windows NT, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows server 2003 etc and configure them in a virtual network. It is a way of learning how to configure different OSs without needing all the hardware.

Your P3 800 will work fine, albeit a tad slow as long as it has a decent portion of RAM. The more RAM you have the more virtual computers you can run at the same time.

12. sToNeDcNuT

sToNeDcNuT Bit Poster

I think CBT's are also a great resource for self study. Have you tried CBT Nuggets or Testout?

Certifications: MCSE: Messaging 2003, MCTS:Vista
    WIP: Chill!!!
  13. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

CBT Nuggets is real good for studies!

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  14. DJ Prem

DJ Prem Bit Poster

100% Self study.

Books.
    Video Training recommend Train Signal & CBT Nuggets.
    Cert Forums.
    Powerful machines.
    Virtual PC/VMware.

15. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

I have obtained all the books for the MCSE and have started my studies.
    CBT Nuggets is also an excellent source for learning, as some of you pointed out. Got a few of the training programs on disk and i am very impressed with them.

Blue Rinse i have looked into virtual PC and have found it is a FREE download from the Microsoft site! Just got to get my old machine up to spec before installing the software. :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/evaluation/overview2004.mspx

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes it's cool - just remember to fork out on a good portion of RAM, 2GB would be nice 8)