Where to start?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by cojer uk, Jan 6, 2009.

1. cojer uk

cojer uk New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and looking for some advice. Apologizes if this has been answered numerous times before.

I would class myself as quite IT literate and relatively good and fixing errors that can occur. Obviously, this is no good without having the "Tics in the Boxes" with the right qualifications.

My ideal job would be to work for a reasonably large company working as a computer technician. Fixing, installing, setting up and general administrating a network. I've spent many hours on the internet looking for what qualifications are needed in order to do this job. There are so many to choose from that all sound ideal... but what is the best?

I've had a representative from "Advent" come to my house and discuss their company and what they offer.. sounded right down my street. However, is this the best route? Are they a good company? And more importantly do they hold a good reputation? Cost is rather :eek::eek:

I'm naturally quite a well motivated person and this self study is possible but what is the best company to do this with?

I'm really at a loose end with this and any sound advice will greatly be appreciated.

A+ ? Network +? MCSE? MCSA? MCP?

What to do? When to do them? What order?

What qualifications are worth having? What are not, and why?

Too many questions really! lol

Thanks in advance,

rgds,

Ryan.

WIP: A+
  2. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I can give you the advice that I was given when I joined (btw- welcome!). I'm probably in the same situation as you, some IT experience with building/repairing/maintaining computers but no IT qualifications :)

I would recommend taking the A+ as the basic entry level certification, and then following this with the Network +. Starting courses like the MCSE/MCSA won't get you a job without any prior experience- but will likely cost a bundle. Save yourself some money, and try self studying for the A+ (see how it goes). If you don't like it, purchase a course and try and take the two qualifications mentioned.

As for Advent, I'm sure there is a topic around here somewhere about them!

3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

stupid internet- double post *sorry*

4. cojer uk

cojer uk New Member

Thanks for the reply!

Most people have said that the A+ is a good place to start, so i think i will give it ago! I'm 99% sure i will do self study! Having looked into Advent a bit more i think i will give them a miss. Seems like they have very good salesmen! Thanks Evilwheato 8)

WIP: A+