Where to start???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Timostag, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

I am 20 years old and have been working in customer services for the last 5 years, but I have decided to pursue a career in IT as I have always enjoyed working around computers and believe I could get alot of fulfillment from it.

I am interested in becoming a systems administrator, down the line but I have no qualifications or experience in IT, although I wouldn't say I am a complete beginner- I have build my own Pc from scratch with help from on-line guides, and would say I have a good knowledge of XP OS, All in All I would say I am an Intermediate-advanced home user.

After advice from a friend of a friend I started looking at doing an MCSA course (I wouldn't do a self course as I need stuctured enviroment) but after looking through this forum I'm unsure if This is the right course to start on? Maybe it would be better to do a lower course such as A+/N+ and if I did could one of these courses open the doors to an entry level IT job so I can start getting hands on experience before I start the MCSA?

Please reply

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  2. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Hi & Welcome to CF :)

I would recommend you start with the A+ / N+ and get an entry level I.T job. 1st line support is the usual place to start from the beginning. Tailor your CV so that you are pushing the customer service side of experience. As you have no experience in the I.T field, you will need to emphasise on your customer focus. Another cert to consider is the MCDST as this gives a good solid grounding for 1st line support jobs. Get your CV out there ASAP and put on your CV that you are currently studying for A+ / N+ (and MCDST if you choose to)

Also, understand that the A+/N+ count as an elective towards obtaining MCSA certification, but you shouldn't be going straight for your MCSA, because if you tackle each certificate one at a time, as you start to grow in the I.T field, you may find you're interested in a completely different path. I'd advised on keeping your options open for now.

Also If you need a structured environment to study for certifications, then I hope you have got bags of £££, as this is what it'll cost you if you go with a training provider. Last of all, if you can't see your self studying on your own motivation, I wonder if the I.T field is a right career choice for you? Reason I say this is that you can ask anyone in the field that new technology changes all the time and you need to stay ahead of the game by being self motivated to learn new criteria.

HTH :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Er... well yeah. That pretty much covers it. It's surprising how similar Naive's post is to what I was going to say...lol. Great minds and all that kinda stuff...

The only thing I'd add would be you have a good base for your CV with your 5 years of customer services experience (as the skills you learnt are very similar to those in an entry level I.T role.) Most people will not have such experience so you're already one step ahead. Aim for 1st Line Support / Helpdesk roles as your first possible job whilst self-studying for the A+ and the N+ - more information with regards to study aids etc can be found in the appropriate forum section.

Best of luck in finding something you like. :) Let us know if you have any more questions (it's still early so my brain isn't fully up to speed yet :p)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Nice addition Qs, It's pretty safe to say the OP has been 'technologically tag teamed' and I expect him to be an MCSE in 3 week :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

I agree with whats been said, remember not many people go into a systems admin job from the start you usually have to work your way up so starting on a helpdesk and with A+, N+ and MCDST would be a good start and go no further cert wise untill you have the relevant experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Start with an intro in the intro's section :twisted:

Welcome to CF. :D

I have worked with computers since I was 8 years old, I wouldn't call myself a beginner either, however that doesn't translate to "real world" experience, I have studied for the A+ and saving the pennies so I can take the 2 exams sometime in the future.

I have made the mistake in the past thinking that I know too much to be bothered with low level certs, without them as a boost, I'm finding it difficult to land a full time role in IT support.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

Thank you,

some great advise there, I ve bought The CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide and am having a go at self study as I don't think the course will take as long as I first thought (I'm aiming for 6-8 weeks after looking through the forum)

I never even condidered putting my CV out till I had some sort of cert but after the advice ive had here i will do it straight away you never know i might find somewhere willing to pay for the exam!

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation