Where to start?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by StevenRussell2k7, Apr 5, 2007.

1. StevenRussell2k7

StevenRussell2k7 New Member

Ok, I've been reading quite a few posts that I feel relate to my current dilemma.

I'll start off by saying that PC's are my passion. At first when I was only 14 years old all I wanted was a PC because I saw my friends dad playing the videogame Half Life. Videogames were always my passion before I learned all that I know now 10 years later.

When I finished school I went straight into college and was doing very well in an intermediate GNVQ in IT. Due to being young and dumb I quit college to work in... drumroll please... a cake factory.

Yeah... I know... needless to say I've gone from dead end job to dead end job ever since, and now at the age of 24 and still getting the minimum wage I've decided it's high time I learned more about the industry side of computing.

One thing I've picked up on is that jobs in IT are NOT in abundance as some TV adverts would lead me to believe, and that having the qualifications doesn't mean a great deal to the employers either. Employers want experience above anything else it seems and there we have the good old catch 22 scenario.

So, the one thing I DO have on my side it seems is a passion for IT. In particular I have a passion for building, maintaining and creating fast but stable systems. I've spent endless hours tweaking, testing, overclocking, benchmarking etc just to squeeze that extra ounce of performance out of my PC. So yeah, I am passionate about what I do, and hopefully this, along with my hatred of any job I've ever had previously will give me the drive and ambition to succeed.

But where do I start? I've read Zimbo's guide to self-study and I'm quite sure that this is the route for me.

What should I do first before I do ANYTHING, any chances of a step by step guide to beginning my training and jobsearching? I'm in the this for the long run and for a job that I will enjoy, I am seriously not in this for the money.

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Steve,

It sounds like you have the right positive attitude, and are aware that it isn't as *rosy* as some might want you to believe.

Certification wise, stick with Zimbo's thread. Job wise, the sooner you find one the better. Some may say wait until you have cert's, I am advising you to find one ASAP.

The reason I say this, is experience is the key to knowledge and certification. As soon as you find a job, your employer should be happy that you are spending your own time studying for cert's and perhaps offer to help you along the way. Even if they pay for the odd book - it all helps.

Good luck, post whenever you need help.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Steve - the best advice if you are serious about changing careers and want to get an IT cert or three, is to start with the CompTIA A+ this will undoubtedly cover a lot of the stuff you already know and will help fill in any gaps in your knowledge thus building a solid foundation for any further study that you might be interested in. The A+ is vendor neutral and globally recognised - you can self study it by buying the Mike Meyers A+ all in one tome, go for the latest edition.

The natural progression from the A+ is CompTIA's Net+. This is an entry level course into networking and it covers a broad range of the topologies and protocols etc used to get PCs and macs etc to talk to each other.

From there the world is your oyster.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Steve, it sounds like you've done your research well. :) You're spot-on accurate.

Start with the A+, and start looking for an entry-level IT job. Continue getting certifications - the MCDST and Network+ are great to follow the A+. Build experience and keep working your way upward in IT, and continue to pursue more advanced certifications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. StevenRussell2k7

StevenRussell2k7 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, seems like A+ and network+ are going to be the foundation I'll start with.

That's the easy bit sorted then, what about my jobsearch?

What jobs should I be looking for to begin with and does anyone have any advice on voluntary jobs, or other avenues of gaining experience that might give me a bit more direction?