Where to start

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Terne, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Terne

Terne New Member

Hi

As I've said in my into I'm very new to computers and dont really know where to start. I'm very good at problem solving and when something goes wrong with my PC I would rather try for hours to solve the problem myself than ask for help.

So where to start?

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I take it this means that you are used to opening up your PC and working on the hardware. It would help us to respond if we had a better idea of what you know now. When I took my first class, I'd never even seen the inside of a PC before and was afraid I'd break something. I'd hate you give you advice without knowing just how new you are. Details? :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Terne

Terne New Member

Sorry Tripwire, I'm not used to this sort of thing.

No I've only ever opended and looked inside a PC I was meaning when things go wrong when I'm using my PC. I'm very new to computers and have a very limited knowledge. I really need to learn more about the computer and how things work.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

If you're looking to make computers a career, you might start with some class or program that will teach you the very basics. I know a number of members attend various IT learning centers in the UK. They'll have to point you in the right direction since I'm in the US.

If you're a self-starter and self-learner, you might want to pick up a copy of Mike Meyers A+ All-In-One Exam Guide. It's something of a classic and the A+ certification is the basic, entry-level cert for PC hardware technicians. It explains a great deal, is comprehensive and quite easy to read.

That was the first book (earlier edition) I bought when I decided to change careers. Unfortunately, without a technical background, I had a tough time understanding some of the concepts so I looked around and found a two-year program at my local university. Since I tend to be a better "classroom learner", it worked out for me. Now I'm at a level where I can self-study a number of technical topics without classroom support.

I hope this is what you're looking for. Let me know if I'm missing the point or if what you need is in another direction. Thanks.

5. Foxynox

Foxynox New Member

Hi Terne,
    I'll second that. Career wise as well as for general info the A+ qualification is definately the place to start. Comptia's A+ gets down to the nitty gritty of the PC. By the end you will know all the parts and components, CPUs, Memory, Hard Disks etc etc.
    I can also Vouch for Mike Myers all in one A+ book, used myself way back when I studied for A+ as my first cert. Very good book.

Nice to see the perservation there also, you will need it if you want to stick with IT, but never be afraid to ask also.

My 2 cents mate...................

6. Terne

Terne New Member

The A+ looks like something I would be intersted in. If I was to do the A+ would I need to cover any basic learning before I start. As I said I'm very new to computers.

Also how much are the exams for the A+ in the UK?

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

A good idea would be to try and get hold of an old but working PC, Terne.

Then, just play with it - take it apart, put it back together, break it, fix it etc. That will soon let you get an idea for the stuff, and also let you know if your going to actually enjoy doing this further.

Also, some basic reading materials would be advisable.

Just my 2 €'s :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I don't know about the exam costs in the UK but I'm sure that information is easily acquired. The A+ exam is designed for a person with about six months experience in computer hardware and basic operating system repair and maintenence. Probably the first thing I'd do (and what I actually did when I was in your shoes) is get a copy of the latest edition of Meyers' book. I posted a link to UK Amazon so you can take a look at the text and how much it costs.

Once you have the book, go through it casually (at least at first) and get a sense of how comfortable you are with the subjects it covers. Also, you will need at least one computer that you can open up and examine. If you don't want to "risk" the computer you use on a daily basis, see if you can pick up an older model to work on. Some places surplus their older equipment for a pretty reasonable price. One of my former instructors was an expert on "rescuing" PCs and servers that were about to be thrown in the junk heap and bringing them into class for us to work on.

If you have even a minimal background in electronics, it would be a plus but like I said...when I opened up my first computer, I knew zip. Believe me...if I can learn this, so can you.

Also, go ahead and look at the A+ page at CompTIA to find out the inside info on the certification. Take your time and look around at all the ins and outs of the exam so you'll be familiar with what's expected. Let us know what you think.

9. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I remember when i took the A+ exam it was about £120, but that was 2 years ago and things change, but it might be a bit more, i remember server+ being £160 (gulp!)....

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  10. Terne

Terne New Member

Thanks for all the info and advice, I must say how great this site is. I think I'll look into the A+ a little more over the weekend and maybe look in the local paper for an old PC to get my hands dirty with.