Where to start... Windows Server

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by BraderzTheDog, Sep 28, 2012.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hey CF!

Not been on in a while, and have kind missed you guys (aww aknow :) )

Can anyone suggest where to start with getting into servers? Never really been a server nerd, always had the network buzz and since became a Network Engineer. My day to day duties are often sat on the CLI of firewalls such as Cisco / Juniper SSG SRX SSL VPN and Checkpoint and various other firewalls, routers & switches.

Do you think this would be beneficial to make me a more rounded engineer if I understood Microsoft infrastructure? I've only ever used Windows server as and when needed, and have always got by with my best friend (only friend) google :) My main skills on server as far as stuff I've done would include creating DC's, assigning privileges, DHCP scopes, user management, pushing down GPO's.

So my question is, do you know where would be best to start? I've seen the self paced study kit at work for server 2k3, would I be better starting here or starting on the 2k8 stuff? Also what would be the best exam to start on, the AD configuring or other?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+