Where to start 70-270

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by madman045, Apr 13, 2006.

1. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Just started to look at getting my MCSA to help me along...

But the question is, where do I start?

What do i need to learn for this module??

I have all the software to hand, ms virtual pc, virtual server etc...

I have set up 2003 servers, domains, AD etc...

I had a look at the virtual lab topic and I found it good, but what else do i need to look at?

Thanks

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well the first thing to do is head over to the official 70-270 page and check out the Skills Matrix.

It's a list of objectives, topics you should really know inside & out if you are going to do well on the exam.

You could also buy a 70-270 book and work through it chapter by chapter, do the exercises etc.. until you are happy with each area. The official one on MS's site is this one.. It's got a different cover than the one I got from Amazon UK, but it looks ok.

Finally, have you tried any exam simulation software? It's usually what I focus on when I think I am nearly ready for the exam. Transcender are very very good. Quite often harder questions than you will find on the exam itself. I have found them very useful in the past.

Hope some of thta helps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

what modey said, but i disagree with the book.. he showed you the 1st edition... there is a second edition here - i used it for my exam and its pretty in depth but it has all you need to know for the exam.

just to add one thing get plenty of hands on for this exam it will help.. setup a RIS server, sysprep, disk management etc etc the book will help you all the way and when you get stuck google and CF is there! :biggrin

Good luck - ps give this a read...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Thank you both, I will have a look at those and the book, just got to sort out some more memory to run the VMs on one PC...

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i was using 512mb+256mb (sorry mate had a few cold ones celebrating so you do the math!) to run my host - server and client.. i think the best is get about 1gb or option two is use 2 *medium* pc's and use a cross over cable and then bridge them in your virtual network..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yup, that's the book I used also. The link on the official 70-270 info page is out of date. I didn't use the book much to be honest, it was there for reference purposes. The exam sim software that came with it was ok though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada