Where to go from here?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by richrolls, Nov 24, 2011.

1. richrolls

richrolls Bit Poster

Hi everyone, a little while since I last posted on here but heres where I`m at now.

Roughly a year ago I was working in retail, desperatly seeking to find somthing more rewarding and better paid.

After self studying part of the comptia A+ certification for a while but often struggling to find the time to revise (and occasionaly lack of motivation although am quite driven so more so the time issue).

Any way eventualy decided to a very simular course to the Comptia A+ at my local college for a fairly reasonable price compared to a lot of TP`s in the shape of the City and Guilds L2 Computer Maintanence (ICT systems suport) course which I belive was a good choice if anything from the expirience of spending time with computer literate individuals who I learnt a reasonable amount from, as well as the course and gaining the qualification.

Any way I finally shortly after gaining the qualification managed to get a break into an industry other than retail, and a good step in the right direction in the shape of a job offer doing customer support (second line) for a large well known electronics retailer, which brings me to the present.

I am now looking on where to from here and am considering the following:

Self study comptia a+ as am best part of the way there and have study guides

move on as have simular qualification to a+ ( I no not the same but) to emplyers current c&g seems to do the job and move on to cisco ccna home study- is this do-able or realisticaly is it woth going through tp

Alternativly go on and do N+ through home online self study using proffesor messer, guides etc

any advice is welcomed, and big thanks again to the website as a very usefull resource.

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Going from A+ to CCNA are quite different areas of IT.

Since you've worked in second line, wouldn't you prefer to do server based work?

Did you have an idea where you would like your career to go, be it desktop, networking or server support?

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. richrolls

richrolls Bit Poster

eventualy i was hoping to go in to networking but start of by doing maybee a few years more directly dealing with computer repair as at the moment I am soley dealing with other electrical equipment such as cameras, tv`s, ereaders etc either way i would like to be doing physical computer repair or networking both appeal, dont really no much about server support roles or qualifications but really not sure which would be the best route to go down cant see either being a bad choice. just looking which route would be best, cheapest and fastest to getting a rewarding, better paid job.

4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I'd suggest going the A+ self study route first. With your experience it shouldn't take you too long to nail it.

Then once you've got the A+, go the N+ self study route.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Why would you recommend the A+ to someone doing anything other than prep for or entry level work? It isn't going to help him get further is it? Or is it? Just curious.

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Hi, Can you advise what your current role of second line support is actually doing as different organisations have different things. If you think the qualification you already have is similar to the a+' then I would advise moving onto the network+. did your city and guilds cover OS's or just hardware?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  7. richrolls

richrolls Bit Poster

Hi thanks to everyone for all advice uptill now and apoligies at delayed response, second line support role is a mixture of email based troubleshooting/diagnosis as well as some physical diagnosis dealing with a range of different electrical products not computers so much, more tvs,readers cameras etc, is a good step in the right direction from retail (which I was previously in) City and Guilds covered both Software, OS and hardware.

would idealy like to do some pc repairing troubleshooting type work before going into networking but wish to study and gain qualifications on route and dont no if am better doing a+as suggested gaining the extra qualification which helps short term roles or just go straight into either n+ or a+ and which of these to go to, also how realistic these to courses are to self study or whether it is necessary to get tuition.

Any way thanks again for any further help and all previous.