Where to begin?

Discussion in 'A+' started by ttados, Jul 27, 2010.

1. ttados

ttados New Member

Hey guys I just recently stumbled upon this site and thought I would see if I could get some help. I have been around computers for years doing repairs, upgrades, small scale networking, and all the other basic things. I took a beginning networking class at my university which focused on the network+ exam but I never took the test because of a lack of time. I am not a moron when it comes to computers but I have had no real world, job related, exp. and I don't have any certs.

In saying all of that, I would like to get an entry level IT job which hopefully would advance into something along the lines of security and I was wondering what the best route to go is. What I can gather is the best route would be to get the A+ cert and find an entry level job and then just go from there. I realize that seems pretty basic but I feel like, most often, long term plans tend to change :) Let me know if that sounds good or if you would recommend another course of action.

Also, what book would be the best for studying for the A+ exam? I found Mike Meyer's study guide and the first edition has a really good rating on amazon but it came out in 2003 so I would think it would be a bit dated. I did find a third edition of the book though, which I am sure is great, but it has no reviews yet.

Thanks a lot for the help guys I really appreciate it!

2. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi ttados

Welcome to the forum!

Firstly, you are right in going for an entry level cert for an entry level job to get you started! A+ is fantastic for your needs I believe and since you have some experience with computers and a little networking experience you should pick up areas like LAN and components pretty easily.

If you look at the link at the bottom you will find the Mike Meyer's all in one guide, which has both 701 and 702 (Essentials and Practical). This book could be all you need to learn the material, however there are other options like video tutorials, website based learning material and some exam simulators like Boson.

Look around the A+ section of this forum and you'll pick up some links to useful items, or just drop me a PM and I'll send you a link to a couple things I used (some you may have to purchase). Just be aware that if you pass before 1 January 2011 you will be certified A+ for life, anything after that you will need to re-certify every 3 years however this shouldn't be too much of a hassle if you get your job and your company pays for you to do this (and you stay up to date).

Dazzo

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certi...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280306010&sr=1-1

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +