Where to aim my training next?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jiser, May 27, 2013.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Hi all so I am struggling to decide where to commit my time and money next for training/career.

So first a bit of background.I have been working in IT since 2006 mainly in roles based around 1st/2nd line mixed with a two year stint managing a network and working in New York in PMO. I currently work for two local councils doing 1st/2nd line which involves anything from group policy, websense, VMware, desktop support, AD, exchange etc so role is quite broad. However I am bored of the environment, lack of projects (due to other teams doing this) and other things within the position. There is no longer any scope for development or moving within the team in the next few years.

Speaking to colleagues and looking around at general jobs SQL seems to be a big thing at the moment. It seems there are less desktop/service desk/ infrastructure roles around now specially in my area.

As you can see from my qualification list I am unsure where to put my time for studying next. I have a few ideas but where do you think I would be best placed to study and what would you rather see on my CV as employer out of the following: ?

1) MCSA 2012
    2) CCENT
    3) Security +
    4) Exchange certs
    5) Office 2010/2013 upgrade from 2007
    6) MCSA W8
    7) MCSA SQL 2012
    8) Whatever you recommend?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Which of those courses interests you most?
    Where do you want to end up in IT?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Not entirely sure. I want to increase my earning potential and get into senior / management positions. I want courses I can pop out fairly easily over several months.

I think realistically as I have no server certs MCSA Server 2012 will be a goal to aim towards it just sucks you do not earn anything until you have passed all three. I am therefore not sure if its a cert worth putting a lot of effort into or not.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I would suggest looking at certs that interest you and go from there. Senior management is a position that will take some time to work toward.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP