Where to after the MCSA

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Gary B, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

I've just got the 291 to pass before gaining my MCSA and I've just rescheduled this from this monday to next monday but once I've passed I'm not really sure what direction to head in.

My Job role is systems administrator so the qualification is very specific to my job.

I'm in a small IT dept of a major corporate company who manages a site for another major corporate.

I'm more than happy in my role and regards the design aspect and the MCSE, I don't see many openings unless I move on and I'm not that bothered to do so.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where I could head, one possibility is project management or even IT management but aren't there a few different routes.

Are there any other technical exams which you think would be of use (we use exchange but this is managed externally so that wouldn't be much use) Other options are obviously the new Vista and Office 2007 certs

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Gary

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would go for 70-291, purely because of the interesting content.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

After the 70-291 why not go for the MCSE anyway? Might help if you want to move away from sys admin in the future 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

[Edit] oh i re- read you post and see you are doing 291 now :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Gary,

I think one of the beauties of technology is there is so much to it. If you feel you want to move away (or expand) from the *sys admin* role, why not pick up a book for a topic that interest's you? No harm in learning extra skills....

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

That's just it though

There are soooooo many different aspects to I.T. that makes it so difficult to decide what next

I know the natural progression is the MCSE but I was just looking for other possible suggestions/tracks

I've had several different jobs over the last 15 years and only in the last 6 have I had anything to do with IT, I'm 40 (having gone through several mid life crisis' :blink ) now and don't really fancy any BIG changes now, I'm not exactly ambitious but I do want to continue learning new skills and the project management role would be a possibility, having said that (I'd guess the design part of the MCSE would be handy for that)

7. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

do you want to stay microsoft specific?
    how about cisco or wireless certs, such as CWNA or CCNA?
    or others, HP, IBM, etc

that way you continue your professional development learning new skills
    :)

8. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

Now I've passed the 291 I've decided to take it a little easier and have a go at a couple that I already know a fair bit about so they should by comparison be a piece of cake

In my line of work they're also both very applicable so I've started the CWNA and I'll follow that up straight after with the RFID+ and once I've done those there should be a few books out about the 70-620 so onto that which, from what I've seen also seems much easier the the 70-270

9. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

Well, I'm back after a 16 month break and I can list a whole host of certifications I've gained in that time which are

Absolutely bugger all, I've done nothing but slob out and endure my 4th, 5th and 6th mid life crissis'

Still in the same job as a sysadmin and in a rut deeper than the Grand Canyon but now with some resolve to drag myself out kicking and screaming, I know once I get into the rythem again I'll be fine as I passed the MCSA (A+,N+,270,290,291) in around 13 months

Just need something really easy and quick to give me a kick start back on the Cert trail

What's the easiest MS exam in your opinion to get me back up and running and give me a boost of confidence?

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

lol, everyone deserves a break from studying :)

Anyway easiest MS cert... Provided you don't mind which one, the easiest I found is the MCAS: Vista. It's not a professional or technical cert, it actually comes under Microsoft's business class of exams/certs.

If it's the easiest technical/professional cert you're looking for, I would say the MCDST or at least one exam of it (which is still a good exam to get) or the 70-620 (Vista) exam.

Congrats on the pass btw, I know it's a bit late but I missed the post the first time round :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

Cheers Ken

I've opted for this just to get me back in the stride - all seems straightforward and more a case of reading a book, taking a few notes and passing the exam

One I do like the look of is the 70-660 but not a lot of news on that just yet (also some confusion as it could become 77-660)

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would also recommend 70-620, then perhaps 70-622.

Afterwards, finishing up your MCSE wouldn't be a bad thing! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I've just got to pass 70-290 to get my MCSA (booked for Weds week:eek:) and everyone at work is saying do CCNA next.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  14. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

Isn't the MCSE/MCSA a thing of the past though with all the new certs?

15. BosonMichael

Do you use Cisco gear? If so, then that's a worthwhile option.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. BosonMichael

Not in the least bit. Many companies still use Windows Server 2000, so how much longer do you think Windows Server 2003 certifications will be useful?

17. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

We've still got some NT boxes :oops:

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK